PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I don't own this pipe but saw Ray Kurusu post some shots on his blog and I thought it was pretty different. I wasn't surprised by the unusual stemwork given the stem design that Ray did on my commissioned nosewarmer last year (detailed here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ray-kurusu-nosewarmer-billiard ), but I thought I would share.
NAUQIz6.jpg

dEhHDLl.jpg

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Beautiful pipe! Made me go check Ray's work out, and WOW, so many amazing-looking ones! Thanks for the new discovery :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Pretty cool. He makes some really interesting designs. BTW, Peck, were you happy with the one you bought?
WuaEd1T.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Pitch, I like Ray's work a lot. I have three of his and they all smoke extremely well. His stemwork is fantastic and his bits are comfortable. One constructive observation I have is his shaping is still developing. If you look at that billiard nosewarmer that I bought (link above) the backline of the bowl is, in my opinion, too straight and should have more movement.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Peck, your pipe is gorgeous as is the bulldog but I see a huge difference in the stem taper near the button. On your Cumberland but I can see an ample flat spot that would make for a comfortable bit. The above pipe has a very radical taper towards the button and I'd suspect it'd not be as comfy. Thoughts?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Wow, that is a couple of great looking pipes. The stem work on both is very very creative. :puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
I think that is right. I think you have that issue any time you have a steep taper, like with a Castello shape 10 or a Sav 320

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I, too, would be concerned about the comfort of the stem. The angle doesn't look like it would offer a comfortable clench. If the smoker's style is basically sipping, while holding the pipe, it might not be a problem but otherwise... It does have a Frank Lloyd Wright/Art Deco thing going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.