PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member
Dec 24, 2012
I don't own this pipe but saw Ray Kurusu post some shots on his blog and I thought it was pretty different. I wasn't surprised by the unusual stemwork given the stem design that Ray did on my commissioned nosewarmer last year (detailed here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ray-kurusu-nosewarmer-billiard ), but I thought I would share.

echie

Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Beautiful pipe! Made me go check Ray's work out, and WOW, so many amazing-looking ones! Thanks for the new discovery :)

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Absolutely stunning!! This is the creativity that I am looking for in my own collection of bullies. I love how an artist can take the concept of a shape and make it their own in some unusual way. Gorgeous!!

pitchfork

Preferred Member
May 25, 2012
Pretty cool. He makes some really interesting designs. BTW, Peck, were you happy with the one you bought?

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member
Dec 24, 2012
Pitch, I like Ray's work a lot. I have three of his and they all smoke extremely well. His stemwork is fantastic and his bits are comfortable. One constructive observation I have is his shaping is still developing. If you look at that billiard nosewarmer that I bought (link above) the backline of the bowl is, in my opinion, too straight and should have more movement.

settersbrace

Preferred Member
Mar 20, 2014
Peck, your pipe is gorgeous as is the bulldog but I see a huge difference in the stem taper near the button. On your Cumberland but I can see an ample flat spot that would make for a comfortable bit. The above pipe has a very radical taper towards the button and I'd suspect it'd not be as comfy. Thoughts?

jkrug

Preferred Member
Jan 23, 2015
Wow, that is a couple of great looking pipes. The stem work on both is very very creative. :puffy:

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member
Dec 24, 2012
I think that is right. I think you have that issue any time you have a steep taper, like with a Castello shape 10 or a Sav 320

brass

Preferred Member
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I, too, would be concerned about the comfort of the stem. The angle doesn't look like it would offer a comfortable clench. If the smoker's style is basically sipping, while holding the pipe, it might not be a problem but otherwise... It does have a Frank Lloyd Wright/Art Deco thing going for it.