PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
Hey all I'm at it again, here is a Bulldog style pipe made from Juniper wood. It still need to have some more work done on it and a finish applied to it.
Bull%20Doggish%201-s.jpg

Bull%20Doggish%202-s.jpg

Bull%20Doggish%203-s.jpg

Bull%20Doggish%204-s.jpg

Bull%20Doggish%205-s.jpg

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Interesting, nice work! How does that wood do as a pipe? Also how many pipes have you made?

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
@jravenwood, Juniper seems to hold up fairly well given it is considered a softwood. It is about 35% harder than Ponderous Pine wood and 1/2 as hard as Red Oak from what I have read. This is my 6th pipe I made from scratch and I've modified 3 Corn Cob pipes too.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
This will give you some idea of how well the tobacco chamber holds up to the heat... I did coat it with Maple Syrup before the first two bowls of tobacco so you know.
Juniper%20pipe%209-s.jpg

Also made from Juniper.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
@papipeguy... No it doesn't. This is the second one I made for a friend.
Here is the first one I made.

Juniper%20pipe%205-s.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know shapes are highly interpretive, but your latest Juniper pipe is a classic pot, with its low cylindrical bowl. Bulldogs have the bowls that angle out to the center, often with a bead line, a little double groove, around the wide part of the bowl. Also, a square/diamond shank is standard. Spend a little time with two or three shape charts, and then go online and look at traditional shapes. Occasionally even the pros get them wrong, but mostly not. You're doing some interesting work, but you need to know the fundamental traditional shapes.

I kept coming back to this thread, because I have a thing for bulldog pipes, but I scan it each time and never see a bulldog, ha ha. Yeh, two cones stacked with a diamond shaped shank is how I define the bulldog.
Interesting stuff. Have you thought about staining them? And, too bad they don't taste like gin. That would be a plus for using juniper. You might want to research it a little. Evergreen woods tend to have a very toxic fume that it gives off when heated. I have no idea whether Juniper fits into that category, but it might be worth looking into it. I'd hate to hear of anyone from here getting some sort of pneumonia or congestive failure or some sort of horrible thing.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
Yea, after I posted this thread I realized I named it wrong and know that I call it the wrong style of pipe. Yes it is a classic Pot shaped pipe.
Now to as far as is Juniper wood safe to use as a pipe I have found no information stating it is toxic to burn or even heat up. It is use as a heat source in the Southwest and has also been used for smoking meats in cooking. As far as I can tell it is no more dangerous to use than many other optional woods than the traditionally use ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.