Bull & Bear in Naperville Closing

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

winton

Preferred Member
Oct 20, 2010
I just visited this shop and they are going out of business. Everything is 30% off. I bought 2 oz of bulk tobacco, a coconut almond blend for $5.50 with tax. Sad to see them go. This is not the Bull & Bear in St Charles that Kevin reviewed two years ago. There is no relationship between the two shops. Mostly they were a cigar shop.
Otherwise it was a fun day for me and my wife. We went on a date to a spice shop next door to Bull & Bear. We spent about $35 on various herbs and spices. I am certainly willing to invest in good cooking.
Winton

rmbittner

Preferred Member
Dec 12, 2012
I will say that the Bull & Bear in St. Charles is definitely worth a visit if you're within 30 miles or so. They have a lot of pipes, but no brands that ever appealed to me. But they also have a good number of tinned blends -- from some of my favorite companies: including Esoterica and Dan Tobacco -- that are worth checking out.
Bob

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Ok, Illinois folks; I don't live there anymore, but I grew up in Park Ridge, just NW of Chicago, and

it had the famous and long-running Park Ridge Pipe Shop, which must have done business for at

least 30 years, and brought many a young pipe smoker from high school through middle age. In

the 1970's, after I had left town, it became a sort of center for counter culture, but kept its more

traditional customers too, as near as I could tell. It was definitely a center for pipe culture for

many many years. Always smelled great. It backed up to the railroad tracks just down from the

commuter station.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
Here's a write up and photos of the other Bull & Bear.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/bull-bear-ltd-tobacco-shop-st-charles-il/

misterrogers

May 16, 2011
Ohio
Oh man, that sucks. Whenever I visited the ex, we always went. They were always very friendly despite being mainly a cigar store.

winton

Preferred Member
Oct 20, 2010
Today my wife and I went on a Penzey's Spice date. Anytime we are alone, outside the house, it is a date. While we were at our favorite spice shop, I noticed that Bull & Bear is open again. When I asked, they said they have new management. Anyway, they are still around. A wall full of cigars and one table with bulk pipe tobacco.
Winton
Again, this is the Naperville shop.