PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
apologize for the newb question but what differences will i see when buying the same tobacco in bulk vs tin? as a new smoke im looking to try as many blends as possible looking to find exactly what i like and what i dont. Bulk seems to be a cheaper way to buy smaller quantities of more tobacco, but I also want to ensure im getting the best representation of the blend. Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide!

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Bulk blends are a cheaper way to buy larger quantities of tobacco. It is also a nice way to try a blends for a lower cost. If you like the blend you can order in bulk to save.
Some great blends do not come in bulk though. You will have to buy a tin to try most of those.

Reactions: seanv
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not all tin blends comes i bulk so you may be bypassing some great blends. Other than that, I haven't found a great deal of difference. I buy quite a bit of bulk myself for cellaring purposes.

Reactions: seanv

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Some people will tell you there is actually a difference in the way the tobacco tastes between the two. I have not noticed this, but I have way less mileage than most. Bulks are a great way to try new blends on the cheap, especially since some sites allow 1oz purchases. I would search the forums for old posts about everyone's favorite bulk blends. There are likely dozens with some great options in them. I myself enjoy:

English: Arango Balkan Supreme, PS 17 English Luxury, Boswell Northwoods
VA: Sutliff VA slice, various Gawith and Hoggarth blends, PS Luxury blends
VA/Per: C & D Bayou Morning, GH Louisiana Flake, PS Luxury blends
Aromatics: Scotty's trout stream, various Boswell's including pipers pleasure and raspberry cream, Sutliff Creme Brulee and Black Cordial
Not a big burley guy, but others can chime in with many options.

Some people will tell you there is actually a difference in the way the tobacco tastes between the two.
Check out the PM radioshows. Brian covered this a few years ago, listing brands that there were no differences, the ones where there were differences, etc... Not every company handles this the same way, and he has the insiders perspective, having worked for the tobacco companies.

Reactions: seanv and spartacus

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I smoke a lot of Bulks, and I also have tons of tins "cellared". I've often felt one could only smoke bulks, there are so many excellent bulk blends. The other thing is, one can have a lot of fun creating your own blends according to your own tastes. My daily smokes are all made up of blended bulks; a Virginia, a Va/Per, and the one I just made 10 minutes ago, and am smoking right now! Todays blend: equal amounts of Low Country Virginia & Burley and Mac Baren ODF Ready Rubbed, plus a dash of Sutliff Red Virginia Ribbon...and it's quite good!

:)

Reactions: trouttimes

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I guess it also depends on where you live. In Europe bulks are not as popular. I am not sure whether this is because of the legislation, or simply they are unpopular, but I hardly come by bulk tobacco. Honestly I prefer tin/puch, as it is easier to cellar. Now I wouldn't mind having a tobacco in bulk if I smoke it a lot, since the price is much better ...

Reactions: dmcmtk

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Differences just may exist in the particular blend your smoking. For instance, I have smoked Haunted Bookshop for years in bulk. One day I decided to buy an 8oz tin of HB instead of bulk. The smoke was smoother and less harsh then bulk. My next purchase will be Old Joe Krantz, but in the tin and not bulk. Since I've also only bought OJK in bulk in the past, I'll see if I have the same experience as I did with HB. I find that tub versions of the most popular OTC blends have a better taste then the pouch version.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and seanv

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I've only been cellaring for 3 years, and I was slow to start virginias, so I haven't see a great benefit yet either way. I started more with bulks, and I now cellar mostly tins. Since I smoke 1-2 bowls/day, I have a lot of bulks that I'll never get through. Ever. My taste evolved away from most of the early stuff, so I really have stuff I won't get back too. Who knows though, maybe with age they will grow again on me. It does seem like the SG tinned flakes are more solid flakes than the 250 gr bulk packages, but I think that may vary by batch.

I cellar tins now out of fear that it seems like I have more than I could ever smoke. Also, who knows, a health scare might make me stop. The tins will be easier to move on a secondary market.

I bought a 7 year old FVF tin and a 15-yr old Marlin Flake that were absolutely divine. I hope the bulks age like that!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Bulk is a great but be careful with anything aromatic. I once ordered one single ounce of Autumn Evening along with a full order of other non-aromatic blends. It was like throwing a hand grenade in a box of kittens. That god-forsaken butterscotch smell made the whole package reek. Cross-contamination can make an entire order suck.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Your stated goal of trying as many blends as you can lends itself well to bulk purchases as you can order a single oz of hundreds of different blends - which is a very adequate amount to form an initial opinion with - and not break the bank doing so. As your palate and preferences develop, you’ll be able to more finely tune your tinned tobacco exploration - hopefully yielding more “winners” and fewer “giveaways”! My experience on notable taste differences usually has to do with 1.) moisture levels all over the board when considering bulks, and 2.) occasionally flat Latakia. My recent purchase of both C&D Yale Mixture and Star of the East Gold have proven to be very flat ?. With both having many great, detailed reviews by reviewers I trust, I’m convinced the tinned versions may deliver a better experience...

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Bulk is a great but be careful with anything aromatic. I once ordered one single ounce of Autumn Evening along with a full order of other non-aromatic blends. It was like throwing a hand grenade in a box of kittens. That god-forsaken butterscotch smell made the whole package reek. Cross-contamination can make an entire order suck.
Yep. I never order Ennerdale with any other blend in the box for this reason. Shit makes the whole box smell like the bridge table at a high end nursing home.

Reactions: logs and jpmcwjr
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Generally speaking other than in England bulk blends in the continental EU are seldom seen ,yes there are special boutique blends available at exuisite' tobacconists in the continental EU and primarily only in Germany/Denmark

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am thankful that most of my favorite blends came in tins only. I like they take up way less space and I love cracking aged tins. I have plenty of bulks but they are a pain in the ass space wise.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Bulk/Tin? I’m in the camp that bulk and tin taste different. Bulk FVF is Trash Compared to the Tin. I’ve been aging it and it’s still not close. But opening the tin every now and again isn’t helping the aging process, so shame on me. ?

Bulk Haunted Bookshop is different than tin, the bulk has more balls. The tin was good but I like the bulk better. It’s subjective. I’ll have to listen to the Radio show broadcast that Cosmic referred to.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Carter Hall is different in the pouch than it is in the tub. But my other blends I don't notice any difference except for price. I like the idea of ordering just tins, but I can't justify price most of the time. With the amount I smoke it's better to buy bulk.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The tins are usually more consistent. I find the bulk versions can vary a bit more especially with Latakia blends.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With a few exceptions, most blends that come in both bulk and tin are exactly the same blend. Yet many smokers will swear they're different. There are a couple of theories as to why this is.
One theory is based on the peculiarities of human reasoning, that we are more responsive to perception than reality, which is largely true, so the difference in packaging is perceived to signify a difference in the blend. A bulk comes in a plastic bag, sometimes with a label stuck on it and costs less. The same blend comes in a small tin with labeling and costs more. The perception is that the tinned version is higher quality. The reality is that it's the same stuff.
The other theory is based on consideration regarding the conditions under which the blend is stored. Once tinned the blend's environment is sealed. On the other hand, a bag of bulk may be openend and reopened at a B&M to fill customer orders, and the bag itself isn't an impermeable barrier. So bulks may become a bit drier over months (which is a plus in my book) and the aging process (to the extent it actually matters) may be delayed.
And then there's the theory that there is no appreciable difference and any perceived difference is a product of one's imagination.
I wonder how all of this would stand up in a blind taste test.

Reactions: judcole and shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.