PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Gadzooks!
Ah, well, nothing lasts forever. Interesting that the starboard side has charring from the bowl deeper into the wood.

Reactions: diamondback

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The physics of machinery is often underestimated. When I bought a canoe years ago, and the shop owner was showing me how to tether it to the roof of my car, he told me to always be careful to tie up the lines so they could not possibly get under the car and into the axles or it might wind up the line and actually crush the roof down on top of the car body. 'Sounded exaggerated, but I figured he wouldn't have made up such a story while selling canoes, so fair warning. Likewise with a buffing wheel. The energy available is beyond the rather delicate work you might be doing. Impressive. Thanks for posting. Buffing wheels are important tools, but for the regular pipe smoker, a rag and some elbow grease is probably sufficient. I resist the idea of keeping pipes looking new. I want a little wear to show, along with diligent upkeep. If people visualized the physics at hand, fewer would drive cars or other vehicles, and no one would exceed the speed limits except maybe on the vast reaches of Texas.

Sad, but accidents happen. Thankfully your friend did not get hurt.

I restored two or three pipes with less intrusive methods. Not knowing nothing and not being handy at all, makes me try simpler and sometimes unorthodox methods. I have found the following

Micromesh and Pipe Stem oil works wonders for vulcanite
Murphy’s Oil Soap, Caranuba Wax and Kitchen tissue returns bowls to an acceptable (Not pristine) condition. I think since Caranuba wax is like shoe polish, a shoe brush will do wonders to a briar bowl.
ChasingEmbers use toothpaste and bartenders friend. I will try this as well
I used Jewelers cloth with spectacular result on silver and nickel rings

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How do you apply the Carnauba? Many of us do not have buffing wheels, and use Paragon or Halcyon.

If "Pipe Stem Oil" is food grade mineral oil, I agree. Otherwise, you're paying for a marketing scheme.

Reactions: diamondback
  1. I use the product below.
  2. I completely agree with you. I don’t know the price of mineral oil but I am sure I will get a lot of it for the 8$ I paid for the pipe stem oil. But 8$ worth of pipe stem oil will last many years, and 8$ worth of mineral oil will probably last two/three lifetimes (Unless I find another use of it)

How do you apply the Carnauba? Many of us do not have buffing wheels, and use Paragon or Halcyon.

If "Pipe Stem Oil" is food grade mineral oil, I agree. Otherwise, you're paying for a marketing scheme.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yeah, ok, it's WITH some carnauba, and is a paste. Does it give a percentage?

1. I use the product below.
  2. I completely agree with you. I don’t know the price of mineral oil but I am sure I will get a lot of it for the 8$ I paid for the pipe stem oil. But 8$ worth of pipe stem oil will last many years, and 8$ worth of mineral oil will probably last two/three lifetimes (Unless I find another use of it

Well, it's sold in drugstores as a colon greaser! But it's great on butcher block, and any wooden kitchen utensils. Or most dried out wood items.

Status
Not open for further replies.