PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Just recently bought an old Kaywoodie Signet on eBay. Am pretty happy with it, and am just wrapping up on the sanitizing of it.
I wanted to ask about buffing up the pipe. I know that micro mesh sanding pads can be used for the pipe stem, but how about the wood itself? It is rusticated, so I am also concerned about buffing too much of the outer elements and not enough of the inner crevasses.
Also, if I use some sort of waxing for the wood, is there any way to apply it without an electric buffing tool, and instead apply and buff by hand?
Thanks!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
There are a few different waxes that can be applied without a buffing wheel.
Paragon Wax - Designed For Smooth Pipes

Halcyon II

Renaissance
All three of these are formulated to be applied and buffed by hand. For a rusticated pipe, I've always used cotton balls for both application and initial buffing. I've found that, with the proper pressure, the cotton really gets all the way into the crevices (I'm sure others have developed different methods that work just as well).

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
So I did some more research and found that you can purchase an attachment for a regular power drill that will hold a buffing wheel. That's an awesome piece of equipment.
But I still am wondering what kind of waxing material would be good for the rusticated wood (and smooth wood), metal band, and stem. Also, what type of wheel should I get? I am currently looking at this wheel in the link below:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-100mm-Cloth-Polishing-Mop-Wheel-Pad-Power-Battery-Drill-Buffing-Grinder-Kit-/111857799976

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1 with Torque's response. For your pipe, go with the Halcyon. It's what I use on rusticated pipes and it works great!
I used buffers professionally for years. For pipes, they're largely overkill if all you're doing is brightening up the polish.
It's a different matter if you're doing a deeply invasive restoration, like refinishing or resurfacing.
People use buffers in part because that's what was needed with the polishing products available. With these microcrystalline products there is a better alternative.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Thanks for the recommendations on this thread. I had the wife pick up some olive oil while she was out so I will have to see how my freehand comes out after a wipe down.
Cheers,

Jared

Status
Not open for further replies.