Brown Sugar Flake: Review With Pictures.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Doesn't do much for me, I'm afraid..."
But you still bought shed loads of it :rofl:
"The main goal was to relive the famous Orlik Brown Sliced, but in a more full style (not strong but more body). It's matured high quality Virginia that is hot pressed with some natural Cavendish. So you get a pure flavour with a hint of natural sweetness from the Cavendish. To spice it up it has a pinch of burley and oriental."
Regards,
Jay.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I wouldn't mind a strong, cool-burning blend of quality tobacco with the taste and aroma of brown sugar. However apparently that's not what this blend is, the name is a deception.

Reactions: Papamique

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@jay. But you still bought shed loads of it.

Actually pal, I bought the tins before trying it. Saw a sleeve(5 tins) on eBay, took a chance & come a cropper. Oh well, we live & learn.

Hopefully be able to trade them sometime or sell them on.

Simon.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...the name is a deception."
Shutterbugg, Cannon Plug doesn't taste like gunpowder (or so I believe) and Cabbie's Mixture doesn't taste like being in a taxicab, same with McClelland's Black Parrot, Old Dog and C&D's Barrister and Black Duck...they are just names, not necessarily what one would expect to taste :roll:
BSF is a great tasting flake, please do try it afore dismissing it because of its name.
Simon, I will gladly purchase a couple of those tins from you just to try out. Please PM me if you wish to go ahead.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just to add to the above, from the Danish Pipe Shop website...
"We came up with the name Brown Sugar Flake because of the brown color of the Virginia and the ‘sugar’ is the natural Cavendish that gives you a little sweetness."
Regards,
Jay.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I'm excited to try this too. I ordered a couple tins from the Danish Pipe Shop in October, have them cellaring. Seems like something that will do well with a little time on their side.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Shutterbugg, Cannon Plug doesn't taste like gunpowder (or so I believe) and Cabbie's Mixture doesn't taste like being in a taxicab, same with McClelland's Black Parrot, Old Dog and C&D's Barrister and Black Duck...they are just names, not necessarily what one would expect to taste [:roll:]
BSF is a great tasting flake, please do try it afore dismissing it because of its name.
Except none those you mentioned in that shamelessly lame defense represent commonly-edible substances like brown sugar, which pretty much everyone in the first world has tasted and with which there is a strong memory association. And I don't doubt it's a great-tasting flake. I merely mentioned that I wouldn't mind trying a flake that tastes indeed like brown sugar, and I was hoping that's what this one was.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Shutterbugg, apologies for my lameness but if you wish to PM me your details I shall post you a couple of flakes...that way you will be able to determine for yourself how like brown sugar it tastes, or not as the case may be.
Regards,
Jay.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
You know, I've always read Brown Sugar Flake, not as brown sugar flake, but rather as brown sugar flake--indicating a sweet flake in the vast line-up of Samuel Gawith's many "brown" tobaccos.
Brown No. 4, Brown Pigtail, Brown Rope, Brown Rope Rum, Brown Rope Whiskey, Brown Sugar Flake, Brown Virginia, Best Brown Flake, Best Brown Plug, etc.
I wonder if the emphasis would make a difference in how various of us are interpreting the flavor--"brown suger" vs a "sugar flake"?

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I'm jealous of what you guys available there. I suppose that works both ways though. "The grass is always greener on the other side," and all that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I confess my progress through my "cellar" is at a glacial pace. For tins that improve with age, this is all to the good.

Status
Not open for further replies.