PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Hi fellow pipe smokers.
I have a 1963 Dunhill O with a broken tenon and plan to have that fixed. Could you please recommend a workshop in the EU, that does this kind of repair properly? The only shop I found is the Danish Pipe Shop. I think, they offer that repair for a very reasonable price. Does anybody have experince with them repairing a tenon?
And a general question - is a well executed repair tenon something that lasts for a while?
Thanks in advance!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A tenon replacement is not simple to do properly, but if done correctly, like our own resident restoration genius Georged has done for me, it's not only long lasting, it's often better structurally than the original.
Unfortunately, I don't know who would be able to do this in the EU.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
And a general question - is a well executed repair tenon something that lasts for a while?
Yes. More durable than the original, in fact.
The catch is "well executed"... being a conceptually simple operation, lots of people jump in without understanding what they're up against. The result is badly executed replacement tenons are the rule instead of the exception.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thank you sablebrush! It is good to know, what you said about the durability!
At first, I thought that I could do this repair on my own... And in search of a tutorial, I found Georged's YouTube series on this topic, which impressed me very much. His videos taught me that I'm in need of a true professional for that repair. Also I can barely imagine, that it can be done properly for a low price...
Edit:
I typed in my answer to sable and have not seen sours, George. So, thank you, too, for the kind reply! I'm deeply impressed by what I have seen of your work here on the forums and on YouTube! Also, the bar of my expectations to pipe repair work in general has been raised by you showing what is possible!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
1 for Georged,

@ BurleyBoy, You may want to consider The German-based pipe repirshope> Janzen pfeifen in Hamburg,I've been dealing with him several times in the past,moreover there is a thread under the section Italian Pipes>castello factory repair service where we recently were discussing this very broken tenon issue over.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks, Paul! I've read the thread about your Castello Drama... just checked Janzen's website and what's making me sceptical is, that he uses teflon for his tenons, because he states, that it is a much more durable material.
Regardless of the teflon material's quality, I would prefer the tenon to be made of ebonite, because I want to keep the pipe as historically correct as possible.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I've used Janzen to repair a broken tenon on a cheaper pipe. I am satisfied with the repair on that pipe though I understand your concern. If I had a more expensive pipe my standards might be higher for the repair.
Oh, and Burelyboy, thank you again for the tobacco! As a matter of fact I'm enjoying the Haymaker as I type this.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thank, you for your response, Seldom! I'm glad to know, the Haymaker now is with somebody, who can appreciate it!

Also thanks for what you wrote about the tenon repair. Currently, I tend to send it to the Danish Pipe Shop, but I'm still doing research...

Jun 9, 2018
England
You're correct Paul Northern Briars does indeed do repairs, on the home page there is a link right at the bottom of the page.
I have no experience of the service but I do own a Northern Briars gourd calabash that is very well constructed and judging by the other pipes they make I'd wager you'd be in safe hands.
I believe Ian Walker (who is Northern Briars) actually started out doing repairs for his dad's tobacconist shop before he began carving.
Chris

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks for the new tips! I appreciate all your help a lot!
Paul, it is good to know, that Jenzen sells these tenons, but as I understand, he sells exclusively tenons made of teflon (with aminimum purchase quantity of 30). I'll keep that in mind, maybe, I'll try those one day on another pipe.
I have u good feeling about Mr. Walker of northern briar. I've just contacted him with my questions...
Regardless of whom I'll send this pipe for the repair, I'll let you know about the results!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@BurleyBoy, I have still this castello of mine where I managed to snap the tenon,so I may choose to give that very pipe & org stem for a repair shop once again down the road,Mr I Walker being high on my list, though some knowledgeable people affirm hes planning on retirement,,who knows if this is true,but as for those teflonzaphen a la JanzenPfeifen I had ordered few pieces only along with some other stuff from him,

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Good to know, Paul! I sent Mr. Walker an email yesterday with my questions concerning the repair of the tenon. He has not yet answered. But I will let you know, when he answered. My concern is, that i want the tenon to be made of ebonite and if Mr. walker does so, I'll send the pipe to him.
As you have this replacement mouthpiece for your Castello (it is really a pitty, that the guys at Castello did such an off mouthpiece sell to you. I think sometimes, they do their work not very neatly. I have one Castello Canadian that has minor issues, too, but that I like nevertheless, because it smokes so well), maybe, if you want, you could wait, until I have my pipe back and I cann send you pictures of the repair...
Also good to know, that you can purchase fewer than the 30 teflon zapfen.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@BurelyBoy,a grateful thanks to You, I have no doubt Mr Walker couldn't accomplish this job it If he wanted to,nonetheless as we both are aware its a quite tricky and time-consuming process, the stem on this Castello is acrylic,and in accordance with information collected here ,it would be beneficial if that new tenon was of the same material

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Hi - another general question on this matter:
I have read, that ebonite as a material for replacement tenons is not suited for reasons of stability and, that even on ebonite mouthpieces it would be better to use acrylic / nylon tenons. Any opinions on this?
Thanks again!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have read, that ebonite as a material for replacement tenons is not suited for reasons of stability and, that even on ebonite mouthpieces it would be better to use acrylic / nylon tenons. Any opinions on this?
Ebonite replacement tenons on an ebonite stem aren't unstable or weaker than the original if properly executed. They certainly are more work to fabricate than Delrin, though, which is also tougher and self-lubricating, so unless there are considerations that make ebonite a "must use" situation, Delrin is the logical/easy choice.
I have no experience whatsoever with nylon, so have no opinion of it for any application.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thank you, George for chiming in again! I really appreciate your help. So I think, I'll probably send the pipe to the Danish Pipe Shop, as they are yet the only workshop here in the EU, that I've found using ebonite as a material for replacement tenons. That also makes sense to me, as you say, it is more work to fabricate an ebonite tenon.
That, by the way, is a photo of the pipes mouthpiece:
tenon.jpg

Please excuse the sloppy looking picture. It seems, that the previous owner tried to glue it to the stummmel. The entire rest of the tenon is sticking out of the mouthpiece.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
burleyboy try Sorin Drunea, he goes by the nickname of Humidor. He is the artisan of humidor pipes, our go to guy for repairs here in Romania. He is ALWAYS very busy, so I would give him a call or send him an e-mail first, see how soon he can fit you in. He works for reasonable prices..
Humidor Pipes Contact here

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks, madox, I'll check him out! But at the moment, I do more tend to sending it to Denmark - already had some pleasant contact with the Danish Pipe shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.