Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
My first time in the shop I made the mistake of asking Charlie for some Esoterica blends. He shook his head, murmured something (likely a compliment of my good taste) and then turned his back returning to his conversation with a few cigar guys. Gobsmacked by his crust, I noticed in the now empty space where is face was a moment before, a hallway to the back room and a bunch of tasty looking goodies. I pushed past him through a tiny galley to grab some stuff and proceeded to stand where the cash register was. He stared at me for a good while, obviously annoyed, and perhaps a little amused wondering just how much he was going overcharge me.
Realizing this was going to take a while, I pulled out a pocket sized #10 and asked for a quarter pound of Tashkent. His expression turned immediately. All of a sudden he came alive and measured out this fine weed as if he were preparing a special order for his most prized customer. The way he handled the leaf made it clear that his reverence of the stuff transcended your typical bag stuffer at your everyday b&m. I don’t know if he had a particular fondness for Tashkent, but I’ll be darned if he didn’t send me off with double my order. I walked out of the shop in a daze.
Anyway, he was a one of a kind, old school dude who went way too soon.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I was never able to get through the ‘crust’ myself and see the man described in the obit. But I have heard him converse congenially with other customers, to my great surprise. They say he had hundreds of Castellos, which also surprised me as I only ever saw him with a cigar or cigarette in hand. Though we were never buds I wish him a peaceful rest.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I remember the first time I spoke to Charlie on the phone. I mentioned that I had a Castello collection and he said, “mines bigger.” He then proceeded to be even more gruff and, ahem, short with me. I almost hung up. But I persisted and he was eventually quite helpful. Later, I would ask for him directly sometimes. He never b—ll—ted. A true broken pipe for the history books of our hobby. Bust crusty is good word as used above.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Eric, that’s funny. I only ever saw him with a cigar too. I think they have a bunch of Castello’s mounted on the wall, but it’s hard to tell and I’ve never wanted to spend more time in the shop than required.
This all reminds me of my opposite-world experiences at Watch City Cigar.. Totally worth the trip! Ernie is happy to take you on a tour of the blending area if you show interest. His blends are really stellar too.
Eric, I recall your fondness for Cuban mix. I think you might get on well with Watch City Slices. I sure did and I’m not a burley super fan.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Hey Bigpond! Thanks for the recommendation! I have been to Watch City, it's been a couple of years though. Where I live it's quite a trek. I picked up 8 oz of WC Slices while I was there as well as some tins. Totally different vibe than LJP.

Yup, Cuban is a summertime fav of mine. Charlie dolled out two fresh ounces of it for me just 3 or so weeks ago. Then I got the hell outta there!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Charlie and I hit it off pretty much from the start, probably because of our common ground. I always caught up with him at Chicago for a half an hour or so. I'll miss him.
Russ

M

Merton

Just heard today about Charlie's passing. I liked him and once he knew you were serious about pipes and not some tourist who spilled out of the nearby sightseeing trolley, he was friendly and helpful. He had, in all likelihood, one of the world's greatest Castello collections. It numbered more than 500 and contained lots of Fiamattas. I loved talking to him about Castellos. Condolences to his family

Status
Not open for further replies.