PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
This happened so long ago I honestly forgot how I managed this, but as you can see the tenon has broken off of the stem. I think it may have been broken during a move due to careless packing on my part (I should have just removed the stem). Neither here nor there, any suggestions on what to do with this? I tried to lightly glue it but it didn't last long. I've seen some replacement churchwarden stems online but don't know if a "one size fits all" is the best idea. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much on it considering it's a cheaper pipe (I think I bought it for around $40).

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Ooook, I guess no more Photobucket. But you get the idea, the tenon is broken off of the stem. Pretty clean break, just looking for suggestions.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Could always send it somewhere like Walker Briar repair to have another tenon put on it.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I could, I guess I was hoping for a little cheaper and quicker alternative since the pipe was relatively inexpensive. It's been broken for a few years now because I hadn't bothered to mess with it. Just pulled it off the shelf the other day and figured I'd ask on here to see if I could get some suggestions.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've not had luck in trying to glue, either super glue or expoxy, but perhaps others have.
This is how to add photos to your post using the site's photo album:
Images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, -600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
An example, of a thumbnail named "hms-penzance-1940" followed by -150x100.jpg is the name of the photo in my album, and the the -150x100 limits the size.

hms-penzance-1940-150x100.jpg

If I remove the numbers, it goes to whatever size at which it was uploaded, subject to web sized image limitations.
hms-penzance-1940.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I could, I guess I was hoping for a little cheaper and quicker alternative since the pipe was relatively inexpensive. It's been broken for a few years now because I hadn't bothered to mess with it. Just pulled it off the shelf the other day and figured I'd ask on here to see if I could get some suggestions.
The absolute cheapest & easiest way to return the pipe to service would be by cutting a new tenon on the broken end of the old stem. It would no longer be level at the shank/stem joint, but it would smoke fine.
Removing the broken tenon and cutting a new one require specialized tools though, that nobody you know is likely to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.