PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Finally did that homework Andy suggested and contacted a port of entry: Dallas-FW airport, to be exact.
The authorities there said I can bring in a "reasonable amount" of pipe tobacco and that I should use my "common sense" when deciding how much to bring.
Pipe tobacco...reasonable amount....common sense. Yeah, this guy definitely does not smoke a pipe.
He said that as long as it appears to customs that the tobacco is for personal use or to give out as gifts to friends that there will be no problems. Problems arise, he said, when people bring in entire suitcases full of mostly tobacco products with a few clothing items mixed in.
I tried to press him on what constitutes a "reasonable amount" and there does not appear to be any set standard. Which is amazing since there seems to be standard amounts of just about everything else. Makes me wonder how they determine a violation in the first place. I did explain that pipe tobacco tins usually contain about 2 oz per tin, and he said "Well, I suppose 10-15 of these things would be OK" but I'm not confident he knew exactly what he was talking about.
My problem is that I've bought quite a bit of tobacco since moving to Europe a few years ago including some Hu blends I've yet to try. May have some hard decisions to make as to what stays and what goes on this next trip home.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I had the same experience as pipefish, where I couldn't find a clear limit. For reference, I ended bringing the items shown on http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-i-brought-over-to-the-us . My luggage was selected for an extra scan (because I was also bringing cats, so I'm automatically shortlisted), so I'm sure they saw the tins, but they didn't ask me open my luggage and just sent me on my way.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Watch the 1978 movie "Midnight Express" before conspiring to smuggle pipe tobacco out of, or into anywhere.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks for the info echie. I remember your post and was going to ask how it went for you. Seems you had no problems. After checking out your photo and doing some approximations and some quick math it appears you brought roughly 56 oz/3.5 lbs of tobacco with you. A good haul, indeed!
The ATF site quotes a tax of $2.8311 on one pound.
It also seems that even if you had declared the tobacco you would have only paid around $10.00 in tax. Basically the cost of a tin but no worries of additional fines or confiscation.
I've never declared anything on prior travels but it makes me wonder if I should do so this go-round and take a "better safe than sorry" approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.