PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Going through an old box of pipes up in my closet today, I came across an almost new Brigham Voyageur shape #84. I couldn't remember why I had thrown it in this box of pipes that I no longer smoke, so I took it out and loaded her up.

Then I remembered why. The darn thing wouldn't draw worth a damn. I took it apart and this was even without the maple filter in it.I found a new filter and put it in. It was impossible to get any smoke through it.

I love the looks and feel of the pipe. It's craggy finish felt good in the hand and it was a perfect size for me. It just wouldn't smoke.

I looked down the shank and everything looked ok. I puffed on it without the stem and it was open enough. I puffed through just the stem and that was open enough too. It's just when I put the two together that the draw was too tight. So out to the garage I went, and lopped off 2cm. of the stem part that goes down into the pipe. Now the draw was TOO open. So I tried it with a maple filter in it. It now had a perfect draw! Wonderful!

Now I have a great pipe back in my rotation. I just have to keep enough of those little maple filters on hand.

Have any of you experienced a Brigham with an overly tight draw?

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Nice save! You may need to clean the shank more often because of the missing 2 cm, although the filter may prevent shank build-up anyway, but that's a small price to pay for the addition of a good smoker to the rotation.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I bought a pipe just like this one at the last Chicago Pipe Show, from Brian Levin and I enjoy it a lot.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I had the same problem with one of my Brighams. Took it down to standard tenon size gave it alittle clean up and now it takes the balsa filter instead.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This very interesting to me because I'm experiencing the same thing with My Brigham Country Club. I notice that if I pull the stem out just a bit that the draw is much improved. Could be time for some surgery.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I will point out that this one Brigham is the only one I have had to do this to. The rest have had great draws.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People seem to love their Brigham's, and I like the idea of having a Canadian made pipe, although somehow

I think this is another brand that has farmed out the pipe-making to Italy (?). Great home repair on this pipe.

I just dread another filter system. With Savenelli, I always try to buy the pipes they make without filters --

Oscar Lucite, their unfinished pipes which are mostly no longer available, their 601 churchwarden, for example.
A belated Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian members. It's Columbus Day in the U.S. and Canadian Thanksgiving,

for another 28 minutes or so.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
Interesting mod. I have a Chinook billiard and I do find the draw a bit tight with the insert. I just smoke it without, but that sort of defeats the purpose. Maybe one day I'll look at something like this.
mso489 they make some lines in Italy and others in France.

Status
Not open for further replies.