PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I agree, it seems like a great way to answer the many times asked question about "storage"
I think the only downside of this would be for the retailer that needs to pay for the added weight for shipping, but then again, that cost will just be passed along to the consumer.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Not a fan at all. SPC's shipping rate is crazy high for low volume, like a few tins, so folks will probably not be bothered by the additional weight of the packaging. If you buy from some place that is more accommodating of a "trial" orders, like P&C, this adds unnecessary costs and concern for shippers. I don't like the redneck hipster factor either. But w/e.
You guys go 'head and enjoy your beard inspired blend.
#hipsterfail#

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My two jars of Bacon Old Fashioned are out for delivery. Should have them here sometime around noon, and I'll post about how they are packed, and any breakage.

I love glass jars, and I like the idea of this. But, I just haven't been impressed with some of the small lines of pipe tobacco that C&D have done for folks lately. I am usually the one advocating that tobacco is cheap as hell and that buying some to try it really shouldn't be an issue, but for me to try something like this after trying the Eltang and a few others, is a toss-up between this or just throwing money into the street.
I guess as a pipemaker, it is a good deal to get your name out there on a tin, or umm, glass jar. Good for them. I am sure that many will buy this out of pure gimmick factor. But, after buying all that GLP Virginia Cream and then turning around and giving the stuff away because I just didn't like it, I can wait on this.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
There will be lots of 'broken during shipment' claims in UPS's future.
Yep. Especially with P&C's warehouse operation. If you're lucky you'll get two jars thrown in a box along with a piece of plastic wrap.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
SPC's shipping is free on orders $50 or more right now.
I've never understood people that only order two tins in one online order. To me it makes a lot more sense to save up and at least hit the usual $95 free shipping. Add those two tins to try in with restocking of blends you already enjoy.
I wouldn't worry about the packaging and the mason jars breaking with SPC. They've always packed the boxes perfectly every time I've ordered from them.
As for the mason jars I think it's a great idea. The VaPer and English are already good to go for aging.

I really find Mason jars to be very tough to break. They are boro glass that have been heat annealed. They are not very easy to break. My canning room has hundreds upon hundreds that get churned through when I go on the hunt for an odd shaped or sized jar. That said, if the package comes marked "Fragile" my postman sees this a challenge.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I just don't see the advantage over a nice, sealed tin. They work. I am getting the impression that a number of forum members transfer tobacco from sealed tins

to mason jars regardless of the tin's condition etc. To me, this like wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time. For me, tins work very well.

Mike S.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just don't see the advantage over a nice, sealed tin. They work. I am getting the impression that a number of forum members transfer tobacco from sealed tins

to mason jars regardless of the tin's condition etc. To me, this like wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time. For me, tins work very well.

Mike S.

Selling it in a jar saves you a step, plus it can be reused later. I suppose you could reuse a tin too but I wouldn't want to.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Yep. Especially with P&C's warehouse operation. If you're lucky you'll get two jars thrown in a box along with a piece of plastic wrap.
That is what I envisage, too.

beard inspired blend
Best cryptic reference to hipsters ever.
Hipsters have ruined beards and plaid. What's next? Retail tobacco packaging, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.