PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
An experiment of sorts, I've placed this bowl in water and will see what the effects are over a short period of time. I'll dry it slowly as to minimize, perhaps, the chance of cracking. It's a NOS vintage German pipe that's only been smoked less than a dozen times. I'm thinking it may be fine, who knows....
win_20190123_160656-600x337.jpg

win_20190123_161020-600x337.jpg

It's only been a short time and the water has turned a weak tea sort of colour. I'm not saying rinsing your pipes is a comparison, or wrong, detrimental or anything else. I'm of the opinion it's fine or the many members here using that method would have spoken up. I'm just curious and sacrificing a basket pipe ( maybe) is worth it.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I would imagine the coloring of the water is due to the remains of the few smokes this pipe has experienced, right?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good stuff! I'd be gobsmacked if anything detrimental happens to the pipe given your care and methodology.
Does it- did it- smoke all right prior to its baptism?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
We shall pretend. I am very interested in the results. In the interest of full disclosure, I will not start washing my pipes in running water. But I am curious nonetheless. I don't want to get lumped in with those heathens.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It'd be great to have a scale accurate to at least tenths of a gram. I use a little scale every morning for espresso, and it's accurate to within a gram or so, bu that's it.
My guess is after you remove the surface water and weigh it, your one gram variance may be all there is. Can't wait!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It'd be great to have a scale accurate to at least tenths of a gram. I use a little scale every morning for espresso, and it's accurate to within a gram or so, bu that's it.
My guess is after you remove the surface water and weigh it, your one gram variance may be all there is. Can't wait!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't want to get lumped in with those heathens.
Here here! Wood and water are only secondary to water and oil in their mixing. In general a very bad idea, topping, I think, another barbaric practice, microwaving tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I resisted the idea of flushing out my pipes in water for about a year before giving it a try. It works wonderfully well. Keep in mind that I'm exposing the briar to water for about 30 to 40 seconds. So a true test would be of about that duration. Also keep in mind that you're exposing your pipes to water in the form of steam - itself much more penetrating - with every smoke. Have fun!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Submerging the pipe for an extended time is not a fair comparison to flushing the bowl for less than a minute. However, I doubt the submersion will have any adverse affects on the pipe. I have been flushing out all my briar pipes now for around 6 months, couldn't be more pleased with the results. The only downside is having the discipline to take 5 to 10 minutes to flush 6 to 8 pipes and wipe out the inside of the bowl with a paper towel at the end of the day. Another side benefit is this helps minimize the buildup on tar, smoke, whatever on the rim of the pipe.

Reactions: ophiuchus
Status
Not open for further replies.