PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Just wondering if any of you guys own or smoke Chris Morgans Briar cigar and what your opinions are on it. Also how is it for tongue bite compared to a regular pipe.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Following.
I own a vintage Vauen Zeppelin, but don't want to over smoke it.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Ive tried the briar cigar mouthpieces before, dunhill, denicotea, etc., make them. Never tried the Briar cigar pipe thingie from CM. Interested to see some responses.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These are the cigar-looking briars that burn horizontally, right? I'm always interested in seeing them on sale, and a few have spoken of them with great enthusiasm, as if they were a great addition to their stable of pipes. It doesn't impress me as an improvement on the traditional pipe design. It seems to confute the benefits of a cigar with pipe smoking -- it's okay but not alluring to me, like trying to get a cigar experience out of a cigar leaf blend. But I haven't tried one, so I'm willing to hear what others have to say. I like smoking cigar leaf in my pipe, and some cigar leaf pipe blends are excellent to me, like Billy Budd. So tell me more.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Well I ordered one , So when I get it I'll post my impression....

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I own one and enjoy it very much. There is a bit of a learning curve involved. In my opinion, the difficult part is getting over the impulse to smoke it like a cigar, i.e. taking strong puffs rather than sipping. It is, in fact, a tobacco pipe and needs to be handled as such in order to get the best out of it.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
First impressions are great! I have smoked a bowl of: Oriental Dusk, Purple Cow, Billy Bud and RlP-6. Of the cigar blends listed all of them smoked a little harsh except Billy Bud and all of those also burned fast. For RLP-6 I Packed it much tighter and used the air pocket method, wow what a difference. It smoked much cooler, slower and with no relights. Next time I'll pack the cigar blends the same way and see how that works. None of the tobaccos were chopped up or modified, I just packed them the same way I pack a pipe. It's only the first day so I'll post more later.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I just sold mine on ebay. I only smoked it like 4 times. I like big bowls/long smokes so it wasn't ideal for me. Its great for those times when you only have about 15 minutes for a smoke, but other than that its not ideal. As for tongue bite; you have to go slow and gently sip the pipe otherwise you'll have a direct shot of hot smoke right on your tongue. People have suggested that the Dunhill tobacco's smoke best in it. Its a nice looking and nice smoking pipe but it just wasn't for me.
I also have a Chris Morgan first run BlackJack Bulldog/Rhodesian pipe up on ebay as well. Another great pipe that just sits on my shelf as it never made it into my regular rotation. Only smoked it about 5 times and is like new.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Ugh, well I just bought mine because of your review on Youtube. I guess now I have to sell mine too :)
Really though I was fishing today and after smoking the Briar Cigar it was nice to go back and have an hour long smoke in my favorite Cob. Still for what it is I can see myself using and enjoying it often enough to make it a worthy purchase. It has its place in my collection for sure. What can be said though and has been said, if you're not sure you want one its probably best not to buy it.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Wow 45 minutes? Can you tell me what you smoke and how your packing technique? And do you think it would hurt the pipe threads to pack it past the end to get a longer smoke?

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I smoke mostly cigar blends just to keep the novelty of the thing going. Right now I'm smoking Purple Cow. Typically I take a palm-full of tobacco and gravity fill the Cigar to the brim. With the remaining tobacco in my hand, I continue filling the pipe using the "swirl method." I'm left with a tight top and a loose bottom. I haven't noticed any ill-effect on the threads. In fact, due to to cake buildup, the faux-ash topper fits on tighter than before.
It is truly one of my favorite pipes in my collection. It's a convenient pipe to take outside, so I have it with me when grilling, on hikes, or just relaxing at the beach. It's a great conversation piece especially when I take it to the cigar bar.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Hey thanks for the tips!, I'm a BIG fan for Purple Cow myself. The smell in the tin is sooo nice.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Am so glad I read this thread. I have just won an 18 pipe estate bundle that was poorly described (my favourite sort as one never knows what is in the bundle...oftentimes I get really lucky) and in one of the pictures was something of which I have never seen afore. I now know it to be a 'briar cigar'!
Can't wait for them to arrive now so I will have something new to add to my collection of oddities :puffy:
Top right in the below picture...
_57-2-450x600.jpg

Regards,
Jay.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
The pipe in your photo looks like one of those Zeppelin style pipes, which I believe works differently than the Briar Cigar. I've never smoked a Zeppelin, so maybe someone can chime in with a few tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.