PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sable's recommendation would have made me look again, though I would have probably looked for a Brebbia sans filter, but the Brebbia potential niches have been filled now by other brands.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Here's a good story, I have a friend who posts on an Italian facebook group, the Italian members insist that the best pipes are...Dunhill. Go figure.

:|

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why aren't Kias more popular?.. They are cheap. simple
Not true by sales. My company makes fuel pumps for Toyota, Ford, GM, Honda, Kia, and Dodge. Kia and Honda have been our top sellers for the past two years.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
When Kia and Hyundai first came to the USA, they were pretty much junk. No longer the case. Their quality and customer satisfaction ratings are near the top and rival Toyota and Honda. What hasn't happened yet is their value/resale ratings. Go drive one though, they make very, very nice vehicles and are great values.

But the point being, whether they make a better automobile than Mercedes or not... that Kia logo carries a curse. Ask anyone on the streets what they think of Kia, and you'll get one of many jokes made about Kias being cheap or crappy. They still run Buy one Get one deals on Kias here, and when I bought my daughter's car, I traded in a rusted junker that was setting in the corner of a corn field for years for the DP, and they gave me $1000 for it, ha ha. While some like cheap, cheap carries stigma.

Oct 7, 2016
I am not sure about the current US situation, but when I traveled extensively during the period from 1980-2000 or so and frequented many B&M,s, they weren’t really featured in any of them that I recall. Usually that means the retailer more or less had to include some of them in orders to maintain relationships with distributors. If the distributors don’t “push” a brand by offering specials,extra time on invoices at particular times of the year, liberal replacement policies, etc., well, back in those days a very fine pipe brand would languish on the market. That lack of support had a big impact on a pipe brands reputation then, and that kind of thing carries forward.
Today, with the internet, sablebrush is on the right track. “Evangelists” for particular brands do suck a bunch of oxygen from the room, including me for Castello (and Ser Jacopo and Radice to a lesser extent)) on this forum and elsewhere. No one I know is doing that for Brebbia.
The two or three I owned back years ago were fine, beautiful pipes, certainly from an aesthetic standpoint as interesting as Castellos - but I bought them from Italian shops. I never saw their equal in a US B&M, and that includes the big name old time downtown big city shops pre cigar boom. From what I see offered on the etailers sites, they seem to be very competitive at their price points. A good friend has bought two in the last year and is very pleased with the quality.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. I remember friends who needed basic cheap cars, and they'd burn up Hyundai engines in 3-5 years, and they weren't too great in the meantime. I thought Kia launched a lot better. Maybe they just got their act together sooner. I've always heard and read it was a pretty durable reliable car, rated satisfactory by Consumer Reports and car mags, but maybe Kia just came to my attention a little late. I've had a reasonable experience with Nissan, with some rough spots. I had a very rocky start with a Subaru bought brand new with many bells and whistles, the last year of Legacy station wagons. Lots of warranty work, and all tribute to the late service manager who made it all good. And an excellent (knock on wood) first four or five years with a basic Mazda. And yes, I've nearly always started shopping U.S. marque automobiles, astonished how they can't won't, or don't show any signs ever of wanting to sell me a car. Apparently none of the sales force at these dealers can imagine me in a Buick, Olds when they were made, Mercury when they were made, or any of the other several American cars I have sincerely shopped. One time, the salesmen were all dressed up in suits and fedoras and were too busy talking to each other to ask if I was interested in looking at a Mercury Sable. No wonder the brand is defunct. I hope the conversation was interesting.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think the cat is out of the bag: on this side of the pond, 9mm drilled pipes are kind of shunned. Aren't most Brebbia's filtered (oh my that terrible thing) 9mm pipes?

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I have several… love’em all.
But I have a hundred 9mm pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Go drive one though, they make very, very nice vehicles and are great values.
Absolutely. Had a Sorento for ten years and remains one of my favorite owned vehicles.

Mine is the Fat Bob, discussed the purchase beforehand on here. While someone else had gotten one with some problems with the drilling, I took the risk anyways. In pictures it looked like a great pipe, but in hand... it lacked. Mine had no issues with drilling, and it smokes very well, but I just didn’t like the proportions. It ended up in a drawer. I figure it will appeal to me latter, as styles tend to come back around in circles. It has good company with my Ferndown, which also just lost its appeal to me.

I have only heard one person having problems with drilling... but, then again, I have only ever seen that one post about them in general. We are sort of a microcosm of the pipesmoking world in general. There may be slews of men buying them... somewhere.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is undoubtedly a microcosm of the pipesmoking world. I'd wager the majority of the world has one or two relatively cheap pipes, they smoke one or two OTC blends and if ask what they think of Brebbia, they would respond they just hope they never contract one if they happen to have unprotected sex.
I managed to get what I thought was a great deal on an Amorelli smooth sold by Pipestud on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be a very well made pipe, looks really nice, drilling is superb and is a top tier smoker. Amorelli apparently doesn't have much in the way of distribution here in the USA and flies a bit under the radar.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
When I get home from work I'm going to look through them and order one just to see what they're like.

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
More info on Brebbia see
Country Squire radio show date 12/7/16 Brebbia Benediction
Pipes Magazine Radio 4/7/15 Episode 134 interview with the importer of Brebbia
Articles on the the Monjure international website.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
It is nice to see that Brebbia is not forgotten. Definately I will buy one, I love their sandblast, walnut and black dying. The ninja stem is beautiful, these pipes indeed have a charm. Their author shape looks even better than Savinelli's, so I think that will be the first one from them - a Ninja Author walnut maybe. Also, the jumbo series' bulldog is very unique. And if they smoke well (or at least better than even some more expensive pipes) then that is the icing on the cake. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, this forum and community always help a lot.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If they had a shape like Savinelli's 904/9004 or GBDs 9613 I would have bought one a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.