PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beautiful traditional design here. I think Brebbia is a reputable brand. When I first discovered the brand, they were doing some odd designs, slightly bulging uneven shanks and peculiar blast finishes, at seriously high prices. It put me off the brand, but Brebbia has many admirers and happy owners.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
They are good smokers - I've owned several over the years, though I don't have any at present. Never had one quite like that one, though. It is impressive!

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Don't have one but planning to get one.

I have heard that they smoke great.

Jun 27, 2016
I like mine, although I have had minor issues with two of them that I seem to have repaired. So out of the ones that I own that I have smoked, I have had 60% of them not have any issues. All of them smoke nicely. :puffy:

Mar 1, 2014
I have one in sandblast finish, the drilling is all top notch in both the draft hole and the bit (a rarity at any price as far as I'm concerned).
Pipedivan.com just got a bunch more in and they're currently on sale to boot:

http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_123&sort=20a&page=2

http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_123&sort=20a&page=3

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I have the sandblasted version of that exact pipe and I like it very much. They are a little smaller than the pics suggest, to me at least.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have only one Brebbia pipe in my collection, an estate Gala Argento Three Star First with silver spigot, and it is a fine smoker. It sports beautiful grain, and its craftsmanship is excellent.
If this is typical of the brand, then I would recommend them.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Thanks.. This one is on the way.

brebbia_first_calabash_rocciata_chiara.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
Unfortunately I have some bad news.

During the spring sale I got two (yes two) of the Brebbia Jumbo Bulldogs (I've been looking for examples of that pipe for years).
They're a bit underwhelming.
They both have nice round bowls and square shanks, but the buttons aren't quite level. Maybe a minor complaint, with an hour of filing and sanding I can re-square the stem and shank with the stem twisted a few degrees for a better position.

Worse than that though is that both pipes are lop-sided, one has the shank lined up with a point about 5mm away from the center of the pipe, the other is about 6mm off. I think these are the first pipes I've ever seen with a shank that far off center.

My old Pot shaped Brebbia Jumbo is just about perfect in this regard, it sounds like someone had a bad day.
Lastly, one of the Bulldogs had the mortise filled with putty to accept a smaller non-filter tenon when it's pretty clear that they were both drilled as 9mm filter pipes (I generally like filter pipes but it's not a big deal either way). I'm not sure how to feel about the putty in the shank, theoretically it should help prevent the mortise from swelling out of shape and I might have a more durable pipe, but I really have no idea what effect it will have in the long run.

There is also a noticable fill on one of them. I'm not picky about fills either, but this pipe has one.
I'm not going to try to return anything given that sending anything back would cost almost a third of the value of the pipe itself. Both pipes should be as functional as any other pipe, it's just amazing how "hit and miss" quality control can be.

I certainly don't blame people for wanting to personally inspect every pipe they buy.

Reactions: docpierce and BROBS

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I'm happy with my Brebbia author and it was about same price as the Savinellis I was looking at when I bought it.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I have only one Brebbia in my racks, but it is a favorite -- best rustication on any pipe I own and a fine smoker.

• Love
Jun 27, 2016
I learned that if the pipe came through the state-side US Distributor, then they can take care of warranty claims. If it came from overseas, then it has to go back overseas for warranty claims.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I got a used Brebbia Oro, nice brandy shape. It's drilled for a filter, but I use it without for fine smokes. The stem seems a little quick to oxidize, but no real complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.