PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
o.k. people keep talking about this breath method, so finally thought why not try it out. Well not the biggest fan of the whole thing. Though I think it's got some great applications. The most significant application is to get new smokers a solid reference point for what it means to smoke slow and gentle and how far off their initial thoughts on slow and gentle smoker really are. Seriously that would have helped a ton in the first few months of smoking.

Reactions: UncleRasta

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes breath smoking has its positives, if you are patient enough. 90% of the time I'm a fast and hot smoker. I like it that way. But I do know for a fact that if I have time to kill, that breath smoking a pipe slowly, definetly brings wonderful flavors to the table.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
It helped me learn to close off my throat and not hit the pipe like a ciggy. I have the best smokes when I'm not consciously thinking about the mechanics of it (and with my mouth partly open), but I still do some BMing once in a while as a kind of meditation exercise. It's effective for slowing down the heart rate and the rate of thought.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Okay, so your not pulling smoke from the pipe with the inhale.?
Guess not. It's probably the smoke that's swirling around in the oral cavity that gets pulled back and then in through the normal respiration act.

I've gone back to MY method: breathe in air, then hold the pipe with one hand and sip as if I were sipping from a straw, making all the motions as if I were sipping an actual liquid, in order to close the epiglottis; once I've filled my mouth with smoke I take the pipe off my lips and exhale through my nose the air I had previously inhaled so as to push smoke away from the larynx. Then I swirl the smoke around my mouth with cheek-puffing motions and blow it out through my mouth. I've found that blowing it out in stages: a bit out, swirl again, puff out more, swirl the remnant and then blow it out gets me more flavour.

You can see now why I can't be a clencher.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have only been able to use the breath method successfully outside. Inside, I end up with smoke in my eyes at some point. Outside, lunting with a full bent pipe, I can go quite a while clenched without trouble.

I’m probably doing it wrong.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@olkofri sounds like maybe your nasal cavity has a more open draw then the average persons. I bring that up because what works for one might not work as well for another because of a minor variation in physiology that has nearly zero effect on any other aspect. Or in other words sometimes a technique may not work for reason otherwise then incorrect application.

Reactions: olkofri
When you find yourse;f getting frustrated trying something new like breathsmoking, just relax and enjoy your pipe however you prefer. Not everyone has to do it the same way.
But, if someone should want a crash course in this technique, try just sticking your pipe in your mouth and forget about it while you do something else, like yardwork or juggling or maybe playing a game. Just leave the pipe in your mouth and do not think about it, don't even worry if it goes out. Don't try to smoke. Eventually, you will be breathsmoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.