Breaking News From The BBC: 7,000-year-old Native American Burial Site Found.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Archaeologists have uncovered a Native American burial site dating back 7,000 years off the coast of Florida."
A fascinating discovery that could change history as we know it......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43248791
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Much older, and with tobacco.
http://westerndigs.org/ice-age-hunting-camp-replete-with-bird-bones-and-tobacco-found-in-utah-desert/

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Close to home!! My grandparents were digging for a small pool at their winter house on Manasota Key when the remains of an Indian were found. No idea on the dating, though.
I was really hoping it was the lost city of Atlantis, but this is on the Gulf Coast- about 25 miles South of Harris' stockpiles of tobacco.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When some site is found from so very long ago, it's like time travel. And hot damn! tobacco seeds 12,000 years ago. The antis may have us on the run, but humanity is far from giving up tobacco. I have a friend whom I adore who loves Trump and is not eager to give up his guns. When we talk evolution he supplies what he thinks is credible evidence for Creationism and discounts fossil evidence. Talked to another guy today who believes the Earth is flat, the center of the solar system and doesn't spin. Bible say so.
I don't know, but I'll go with evolution and be glad of the news that these sites have been found.
And they were carrying tobacco seeds! 12,000 years ago!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not sure I get the Creationism tie-in. Is it because they believe the Earth is only 6,000 years old, or some such?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Harris- You're safe from me, not just because I haven't been in FLA for decades, but I smoke English and I think you're VA heavy. And I don't pack, and can't pick locks. So rest easy, and sleep well tonight!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Why will it change history?"
Not a good choice of words I admit. What I meant was it could change our understanding and knowledge of the indigenous people of the US.
Regards,
Jay.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
These people couldn't have used tobacco since they lived under water.

Florida’s coastline has changed dramatically- that village was well inland at the time. Apparently Florida used to be twice as large 26,000 years ago. On the Gulf side, the coastline was almost 100 miles further west...Florida Coastline during Ice Age

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm not sure I get the Creationism tie-in. Is it because they believe the Earth is only 6,000 years old, or some such?
Both my friend and the man I spoke to yesterday believe every word in the Bible to be true as stated. Thus when evolution occurs in conversation, they go to the seven day account in Genesis. Species rolled out from the impulse of God full blown. Perhaps for them literal belief is a test of faith. They not only must believe, they must believe literally.
I'm not sure if that answers your question.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I just deleted a couple of posts hijacking this thread. You’ll find little tolerance from the mods with individuals who continue to hijack threads in ways that force them to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.