Breaking News From The BBC: 7,000-year-old Native American Burial Site Found.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Zack-
I bet you've sailed down the inland water way just opposite this find, and maybe out in the Gulf, too. I did about 40 years ago. At that time, IIRC, Manasota Key was not joined to the mainland- the North end became rather swampy. Did the dredging for the waterway fill that in?
And thanks for keeping this thread going.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Very interesting, they found an ancient site here while building a highway but this was a case of a receding waterline of a glacial lake.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/route-8-artifacts-12000-years-1.3648907

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Not trying to hijack the thread but I found an interesting series on Amazon Prime named "The Great Indian Wars"

The first episode discussed the ancient Native American tribes and how they landed in the Great Plains of the United States.
What I've watched so far hasn't mentioned the battles with the tribes on the East Coast like the Cherokee and Seminoles.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Manasota Key was not joined to the mainland- the North end became rather swampy. Did the dredging for the waterway fill that in?
I'm not sure...Blind Pass was closed off due to dredging and shifting currents a few decades ago. The hurricanes played Hell with all the beaches in Sarasota...Time to bring in the offshore dredges and pump a few million dollars worth of sand on the beaches...
Another pretty cool thing off Venice is the number of huge fossilized sharks teeth that divers find regularly...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Once excavated, will the finds like the textiles and wood, have to be kept in water in order to preserve them?"
Quite likely Mike, the Mary Rose (warship of Henry VIII) was brought up from the deep in 1982 and still to this day is kept wet with a water and wax mixture to help preserve it.
As for the textiles that were found I should imagine a quick wash at 30 degrees followed by a good steam pressing would suffice :puffy:
Great link Davet.....just about to read it now.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And the Wasa, a Swedish ship buried for centuries in mud, employed a technique of soaking the wood in some solution (under pressure?) for a long time, then reconstructing her in a climate controlled building. I can't wait to see the Mary Rose!!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I just deleted a couple of posts hijacking this thread. You’ll find little tolerance from the mods with individuals who continue to hijack threads in ways that force them to be closed.
:clap:
I know mods can't monitor everything, but, when it's called for, more scorched earth, please.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, though sometimes some of our kin here just want to piss into the wind...
Jay, nothing planned, only desire for now....

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Dang, I didn't know folks tried to get these threads closed down. Some folks need to get a job, too much time on their hands.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I know mods can't monitor everything, but, when it's called for, more scorched earth, please."
Pitchfork, I have to agree but after having several innocent threads I started closed over the last few days I wonder if warnings ought be given to those individuals who wish to stir up trouble before the thread gets closed thereby depriving innocent folks from making innocent responses to innocent threads.
It really can put folks off from posting fresh threads if only to see said threads ruined by the minority who seem determined to throw a spanner in the works.
I have noticed myself a decline in new threads since when I joined this group in late 2015 and that is only not just sad but not helpful to the group overall.
Regards,
Jay.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Politics and naughty behavior toward one another seems to be the issue. I think politics needs to be further clarified. What Salted plug did in your other thread is politics. Discussing climate change isn't politics unless you politicize the science. Mostly it becomes a shouting match which is the naughty behavior. Following around Jay and claiming his BBC post is political propaganda is harassment. Mods know full well what comes with the territory. I'm for bullying the bully.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
If you look at it from the Mods standpoint- we love healthy, interesting discussions. If we have to constantly delete offending posts or close threads because someone makes a habit of hijacking a thread in a way that forces us to close it, we’ll take action to correct it...sometimes, you may see a post that you don’t find that interesting- rather than snarking on it/ give the OP some space to express their opinion...

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Yes, though sometimes some of our kin here just want to piss into the wind...
Once in a while it is just too irrestistible to piss in the wind at times as it seems exiting, and you feel much emptier afterwards. However, I owned up to my error in expressing my point of view for a couple of reasons. One, my opinion is not very popular and nobody gives a ding dang ding what I think, especially my wife. Second, My point of view expressed in a debate will hardly enlighten anyone. However, I do call it how I see it in life outside of this interweb pond I take a dip in. So, I do my best to save it for the ones who want to hear it. There are things said here in this thread I don't agree with, but respect all of your rights to express your own view. If I speak my mind, the barnyard dance will get rowdy for sure, so I am exercising the right to stay silent. One thing for sure is the sheep will be sheep and pigs will be pigs.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
One thing for sure is the sheep will be sheep and pigs will be pigs.
You should know.
kemit_miss_piggy_breakup.jpg

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Ahoy my faithful heckler of the sea! You must be a dog because you sure follow me like one sniffing everywhere I piss! :nana:

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Alright, alright as you were. I guess dogs will be dogs.Continue with your butt sniffing, but I'm warning you...... LEAVE MISS PIGGY ALONE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.