PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
bigbee,
If I understand this correctly, you either HAVE 80 Petes, or you have 30 and plan to buy 50 more.

Either way that it quite a dedication. Please post your experience with the pipes, ie. best and worst smoking, feel in hand etc.
I am interested in owning more Petersons, but have little experience with them. I am looking at an African block system.
Thanks
Joe

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
I'll try to post a picture of my collection soon. I'm at 75-80 petes (and plan to buy some more in the coming years)

I'll also try to write down the story behind them, but all in all my collection is to be called modest compared to those of some collectors you can find on the internet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm most interested in the 50 or so unsmoked Petes in your collection! Thanks.
Hardwood- Not all pipes need a "break-in" period, and of those that do, it's all over the lot. From relatively quick to, apparently, never. (though never say never!) And welcome to the forum!

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Here's a general question I have about pipe break in: I have ten pipes I no longer have in rotation because they are poor performers with the Virginia's I usually smoke. Three were new/unsmoked at purchase and the other seven estate pipes. I have rotated numerous tobaccos in these pipes and the common denominator for them all is they mute the tobacco flavor to a great degree. Most of the estate's have been around awhile and I don't suspect they'll ever get any better. With new pipes that smoke harshly, too bright, rough around the edges, etc. I've found they will settle down and give good smokes given time. But, I never seem to have any improvement with those that are dull, muddy or muted. Has anyone had an insensitive pipe that came back from the dead and became a good smoker?

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
In order not to hijack this thread

Other thread
This shows the petes in my smoking lounge, about 45. The others are on the ground floor, in my car, scattered around the house, some yearpipes are in their boxes...
Why 50 unsmoked petes: I enjoy my petes but I'm not a masochist. Every month I try in to break in a pipe and smoke some of my favorites. At an acquisition rate of about 20 pipes/year for several years, you can do the math.
Why Peterson: as many of you I read a lot of forums and follow some trends concerning mythical smoking woods that everyone must have in his/her collection including the Sav 320ks, Radice Aerobilliard, Morgen briar cigar, Tsuge Metal Blowfish, ... and also a pete 303. From that moment on I was hooked on the 03 shape, p-lip, system pipes, army mounts, sterling silvers... and the rest can be seen in the picture
Disclaimer: should you be approached by a woman claiming to be my girlfriend: please confirm the fact that every pipe can only be smoked once each month and sufficient spare pipes should be provided in case of burn-out, loss, ...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My Peterson 221 St. Patrick's Day 2016 pipe came pre-coated and took about 10-15 bowls to break in. It still gurgles a bit, but I don't mind. A little gurgle here or there doesn't bug me.

Status
Not open for further replies.