PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

boffosquid

Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
I picked up this .45-70 Govt cartridge at the range a few months ago and was struck by its straight sides - inspiration hit....
My son reloads for this caliber - I asked him to seat a copper jacketed bullet upside down in the cartridge mouth. Quite the heft, is balanced and works very well as a tamper. It is a pocketful to carry around .... :mrgreen:

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
Removing powder and primer takes the excitement out of using a round.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
WI
I'm told if you find a date nail that is stamped "00" it's from the year 1900, and people will pay big money for them.
We call those people "foamers" on the railroad.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
Got a friend with a metal lathe, or do you have a hand drill? Chuck a bronze carriage-bolt, and fashion your own. Ace Hardware sells bronze carriage bolts that can be sanded, and polished up to make a nice, heavy tamper. Cut to length and sink the treaded end into a short section of drilled dowel, antler tip, exotic wood, a piece of bamboo, etc.
Sanding and some polishing can turn junk into a thing of beauty. Anyone with a metal-lathe/pen-lathe can turn scrap pieces of bar stock or wood, into a million different styles of tampers. Catalogs for pen turners are filled with all kinds of exotic woods to make pens..... Shape-wise, a tamper is sort of like a pen without a point. Same skills to make either.
Brass/Copper/Bronze (round) rods can be found on eBay, in hardware stores, and in any scrap yard, or machinist shops.