Brand new Peterson ARAN 999 Poor quality logo stamp.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I just received my brand new peterson ARAN 999. The Peterson logo is not fully stamped on the pipe. Would you return it?
P1040878_zps901e5307.jpg

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I would probably smoke it. It is a common pipe and not very expensive.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
If the stamp is important to you, return it. It should be easy for the retailer to pick out another for you with better stamps.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Sent a mail to Peterson. They should probably know this sort of poor quality is getting out of their shop. I have a choice to smoke it or return it. The later is an inconvenience to me so I'll probably never buy another Peterson pipe. I would barely even expect this from a Grabow pope for $28.00 lol.
Also tobaccopipes.com is also to blame. Shame on them.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
+1 on if it's important to you. Me I'd just smoke it and move on.

But I see that it's that tme of year again for Peterson bashing!

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Is this your first Peterson pipe? Did you purchase it directly from Peterson or a vendor?

May 31, 2012
I would return it just because I'm a nomenclature nerd.
It's double stamped and slightly ghosted as well.
The stamp, I think, is just too big for that particular shape, makes it difficult to get a good impression.
I thought Pete was moving to laser etching?

http://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2014/06/08/the-new-peterson-nomenclature-stamping/

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Not poor antics, its TRUTH...Sounds like bashing to me. Search the forums and every year or so someone posts about Peterson quality. At one point in time I had 150+ pipes in my collection and a large number were petersons. Old and new not one of them was what I would call horrible. Some didnt smoke as well as others, but that was not a defect. Different shapes and sizes smoke different. In fact the only I've ever had with them is bands coming loose (easy fix).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only deficient stamp I've run into was on a Greek-made Amadeus, where the stamp just says deus.

It's good Greek briar pot and about fifty bucks, so I went with it, but I was disappointed. All of my

Petersons, from various years and sizes and shapes, have worked out fine, so I am a Peterson fan, but

I understand the disappointment when things aren't just right, whatever a pipe costs. In your place,

I'd smoke it and enjoy it -- I'm a smoker, not a collector, so as long as I know where it's from, I'm not

hugely concerned.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I would smoke it. Who cares about the stamping? You know what it is. I have that same pipe and it is a fine smoker, not an investment. But as others have said, if it is really important to you to have a perfect stamping, then return it.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Sounds like you already had your mind made up what you were gonna do with it, and simply came on here to vent about Peterson, about the vendor (like it's that dude's fault, I'm sure they have a million other things to do besides inspect the nomenclature quality of factory made pipes), and throw your misdirected anger at another poster who didn't say anything more than the fact that people consistently whine about Petersons instead of returning them and not smoking them anymore!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Love them or Hate them people usually sit somewhere on the fence with them. If you bought the pipe for looks send it back. If not smoke it.

I happen to love my lone Peterson.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
+100 on detecting the Peterson bashing. Popularity ultimately turns some into detractors. And that's ok. Preference is personal and therefore should just be welcomed with respect. Who am I to say if your preference is good or bad for you. Especially with a factory pipe like a Peterson, a small abnormality may give it character and a unique identity. It's already gaining an interesting story.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
another week another Peterson rant.. since it seems to bother you enough to open a thread return it and move on. the value of that pipe is never going to increase so whether or not it's double stamps really doesn't matter. on a sub $100 pipe who cares? if it a a Sherlock or a house pipe then I would be bitching.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I do not think the stamping affects the smoking properties or detracts from the eye candy factor. At some point about 3 years ago IIRC Peterson put out a batch of Aran pipes with HUGE font sizes. FWIW I had the same exact 999 with the exact stamping; smoked like a dream, very nice for burning Balkan Sasieni ...... and then I grew tired of Rhodesians and Bulldogs.....

Rest assured, the finish will probably not bake off during its maiden smoke, nor will the shank shatter after the third bowl, as it happened to the one and only Dr Grabow pipe I have bought about a year ago just to see what they were all about .....

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
SPARKS!!!, that was hands downt the hardest I have ever laughed at a post. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.