PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have seen references to the sizes of pipe bowls as a type 3, type 4. What are they referring to? Is it the OD, ID and the height of the bowl?
Thanks for your help
John

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
phxrock, prepare for some frustration on this subject. What you are referring to are Group 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, which denote

graduated sizes of pipes in a system developed by the Dunhill company. Your best sense of what this means may be gained

from visiting the Iwan Ries online retail site which classifies all of their pipes under this system. You can look up pipes you

may own that they are selling and find out what Groups they are in. Now here comes the frustration. Dunhill doesn't disclose, and

it may be that there are no, exact specifications for these Groups. The generalities are simple enough. Group 1, 2, and 3,

are small pipes for short smokes, sampling, extra strong blends. Group 4 is your standard middle size bowl. Group 5 and

6 are extra large bowls. This system drives engineers and technicians crazy, with no set specifications. For the rest of us, it

gives a general idea, which is all we want or expect.

Jun 4, 2014
From what I've gathered Dunhill came up with a numbering system from 1 to 6 to give you an idea of the size of the inside of the bowl. The larger the number the bigger the bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, we're talking inside of the bowl here, as 'dutch says. Doesn't relate to the outside size or any other

dimensions, and the shape of the inside of the bowl is not figured in, so far as I know.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
So this issue the reason the bowl dimension s are given when looking at new pipes. Also a pipe with an ID of .5" would be a group 2?
John

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Not necessarily. The inside diameter has less to do with it then the actual volume of the bowl. For example, I have 2 Dunhills that are a group 2. The inside diameter of these pipes is about the same as a number of pipes that I have with much deeper bowls. I have another pipe with a somewhat smaller diameter then these two dunhills, but it is much deeper, and taking a visual measurement, I would say the volume of this pipe is greater then that of the Dunhills, so I would classify it as a group 3, using volume as my gauge.
As noted above, Dunhill has never let the outside world know precisely what their measurements for a particular group might be, so we just kind of take a visual of the pipe and we say "that's a group 3 that's a group 5" and so forth. It's not very scientific, but it seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.