PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
He must be driving while smoking, surely? And turning himself inside out trying to create a vacuum in the bowl...
Andy

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Woooa. I never seen that before. I think a clay pipe might be in this mans future or at a bare minimum one made from a fire brick!

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
He's easy to pick out at a pipe convention. He's the guy wearing the oven mitt to smoke his pipe. :roll:

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Looking at Russ's Ruminations, was the fella using a torch lighter and trying to light a relatively small amount of tobacco? Burn-out is in the right place for someone angling down with a torch flame. Or maybe me trying to retro-fit result to cause?
Andy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This guy told the B&M owner that he did not use a torch but I suspect that he must have. Based on my observations of the first pipe and seeing the char marks on the bowl line up with the burn hole that could be my only conclusion. Still, you have to be mighty determined (or distracted) to do this twice.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I hope the shop does not continue to replace pipes for this customer. Most shops do not like loosing a customer but in this case it would be well worth the business loss.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Don't know how I missed this thread...caught up with it just before I left for work this morning. I've asked myself the same questions you all have and still scratch my head.

Oh, and thank you Walt.

A good friend of mine and pipe maker you may have heard of, Brian Ruthenberg had a conversation about torch cigars lighters many years ago and we know the signs and both feel the same way about pipesmokers who use them...the burn out was caused by "operator error". I just got in and have been having some PC problems, give me a bit and I'll try to get a pic of the scorch mark on the bowl rim on this pipe I have it out on the bech as a memento.....this guy must have a cast iron tongue!

John, if I'm reading right he burned the second one out!!??? I coated theat bowl in thirds, each time starting at the bottom so the bottom third has 3 coats! The walls on the top of those bowls measured .388 of an inch, a little better than 3/8ths and I use a tapered conical bore on Dublins to maintain wall integrity so it aint me.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Ok gents here you go:
Picture110_zpsfa71ec51.jpg

for your edification.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

Status