PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
Anybody have one? Always liked the looks of them, and just had one fall into a price range I was comfortable in. Probably no good for lighting a pipe, but still a neat little piece of history.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
America has a great history of lighter manufacturers. I just enjoy seeing the heritage being kept alive. Great pipe Duane.

npod

Preferred Member
Jun 11, 2017
No idea. But now you got me in a rabbit hole and Googling.

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
Old lighters have always been a fascination. Have and old Nimrod that gets regular use, but am still waiting on the stars to align for a catalytic lighter or an IMCO trench lighter in good shape.

pepesdad1

Preferred Member
Feb 28, 2013
Beattie's Jet lighter was the best I ever had for lighting pipes. Have no idea where it went, but that was 50+ years ago.

balkisobrains

Preferred Member
Jun 27, 2016
The catalytic lighters that I like can be a pain to shop for, especially if they are used, because you "can't" repair them if the platinum filaments or platinum-black ball(s) are broken or worn out. You can always tell on ebay when someone is trying to dump a crappy one, because you won't be looking at any clear pics of the exciter sub-assembly, or whatever it is called. You can swap that whole exciter sub-assembly out with another lighter, which is handy if you have a beater case with good filaments, and vice-versa. Usually you can find NIB New Methods with the box and the glass extra fuel vial & cork on ebay for $40 to $50 total, and it should be in "near-mint+" condition for that price. Someone just sold a sweet store display with 10 NIB lighters included. 99% sure that there's someone on here who has a box of 20 or 30 of them, he was selling them off a while back.

bassbug

Preferred Member
Dec 29, 2016
There are no markings on this one. It was my father's. Nice brass though.

maker

Mar 22, 2018
Cool lighter. Thinks these were originally made from Bullet casings in the trenches. Zippos probably took over design wise.

armonts

Jan 3, 2018
France
I have 1, a copy, the disadvantage is that in the long run it is badly closed, the hood lifts a little in the pocket or in the bag and it empties even faster than a Zippo.

Status
Not open for further replies.