Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Lol as per title, I bought two tins of snuff. Wilsons of sharrow 'Crumbs of comfort' and 'Saint George'.
I asked for nothing minty and as natural as possible!
Honestly, Crums of comfort is minty, and is quite the nose kicker! I passed it around outside the pub and everyone had a snort. Some recoiled in horror and pain, some had leather noses and loved it. I found it quite strong up the nose as a newbie, but no nicotine buzz or anything even during smoking a pipe.. must be mild?
The other, the Saint George smells like nappy/diaper bags! lol had a few laughs but it was more for me. Not a big fan of mint, so this one was alright. Still figuring out what's the best way to 'deliver' it up my snout and what not.
ANy tips from the snuffers? Storage, quantity per sniff, variants of base mix etc??
I like the idea of it and want to find the most natural one as possible! Good for the days when I don't want to stink of smoke too. :)

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
No real tips other than to buy what you like and avoid Gawith tap boxes. Wilson's of Sharrow have a big distribution and make quality stuff. I love Gawith Lavender and Kendall Brown the best. Look for snuff boxes on ebay or in the second hand shops...best materials are rosewood, bakelite, or silver. Avoid pewter.
Pinch size is up to you. Personally, I hate the german-style back of the hand approach because it's disgusting to warch, but it's very effective.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
I use the 'boxcar.' Put your thumbnail perpendicular and in the middle of the second bone of your index finger. It makes a little trough that's easy to control the size of. My go-to is F&T's High Dry Toast and I use a fraction of what is shown down below per side. Like so:

2013-01-07195128_zps79967e6c.jpg

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Also, many keep their stash in the fridge to preserve freshness. For travel, I use those small cylinders they sell at CVS for pills, or if I'm just out for a bit, I'll carry this that's only ~.5" long:

QC3AkEv.jpg

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I've got a surefire no achoo method. It's called Dab & Swipe. Lightly wet the tip of your index finger with your tongue. Dab it onto the snuff, Just a thin film is best. Swipe the dab onto the inner part of your nostril. Repeat for the other side. Inhale lightly so you don't get any dust up in your nose but the moisture will largely keep the snuff in place. Not exactly elegant but this is an extremely efficient way to deliver the nic and will minimize or eliminate sneezing or getting snuff down the back of your throat while at the same time allowing you to savor the flavors and taste of the snuff. This works like a charm for the several dozen different snuffs I've tried from the dustiest toasts to the grittiest rape' or moist schmalzers.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I like Sir Walter Scott's Auld Alliance, it is a wetter snuff.
Also for a floral kick, Wilson's Dr. J Justice.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
My favourite WOS snuff is Gold Label. It is an SP with a little bit of extra scent added. I also really like Abraxas Dragun, but I see MR Snuff is out of it, and that is one of the few places to find it. If you want a buzz from the nicotine, you should try the American Scotch snuffs, but they are very fine ground and dry and thus hard to snuff.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
It sounds like you have easy access to Wilson's of Sharrow snuff. If you are looking for something more natural, their Irish High Toast #22 is one of my favourites. It is fine and dry and might be a bit of a challenge to take at first but with practice it gets easy. One way to cut down on the sneezing is to take a large pinch. I take a little under a pea size pinch per nostril. It sounds counter-intuitive but a larger pinch doesn't seem to travel as far back into the nose. It also delivers a healthier dose of nic.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
AH thanks for the advice gents! I'll have try with the went finger wipe trick and I'll fasion a spoon from some seasoned woods I have.
I was using my tamp tool as a sort of spoon. The 45 degree bent tamp foot at the bottom of those 3 tool jobbies, with the reamer and pin. People seemed to think it was an actual snuff tool..
I've also made two snuff points earlier today. Once I've got a spoon knocked up I'll post a pic' of the bits. I make alot of stuff some I'll keep any interested informed on what I make. :)

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I had bought a can of American snuff garret and son, very dry and strong, it has a nice nic buzz, but nobody does it but me, I have tried the Wilson's of Sharrow and it is very nice and it dies not burn, it can last like 2 month in a tiny tin and then it will get a little dry, I suggest buying small tins if you are new to this

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've had several tins of Old Mill Artisan Snuff sitting around for a while. I tried Darwin's method and I like it over sniffing. This is good stuff, this snuff.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I gave up snuff after I had some sinus issues that lingered. I take some once and a while but nothing like my daily use in the past. I probably would have continued but the shipping cost from England to California was outrageous.
I put a small pile between the knuckle of my index finger and the middle finger while making a fist. That way I could rest my knuckle on my upper lip and lightly sniff. Sniff to hard and it goes to deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.