PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
Based on the many positive reviews over at tobaccoreviews.com, I placed an order with Boswells in Pennsylvania for some pipe tobacco. I came up with a list of blends to try and made a phone call. Their web site doesn't support internet orders, so you have to give them your information over the phone.
I ordered Premium Burley, Berry Cobbler, Chocolate Cream, Mild English, and Northwoods. All together it was 11 oz of tobacco, so shipping was by USPS flat rate box and cost $6. I placed the order on a Monday morning and received it by that Saturday. According to their web site, they also ship UPS if requested.
I am pleased with the quality of their tobacco blends so far. Of course, I need to spend some time with each one over the next month or so to really know them.
Good service and quality product. I will order from them again.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Dave, thanks for the heads-up. I figured they had a pretty good reputation, but the phone call thing sorta put me off. Looking forward to some of your impressions later on in this thread. I heard their pipes are great, if pricey.

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
Cortezattic, don't let the phone call put you off. It's almost like talking to one of the guys behind the counter in a nice B&M, which I suspect is actually what you are doing. You can even ask questions about their products.
I'm still an inexperienced pipe smoker, so I may not have the knowledge to put experience to words, but I will try my best.
Initial impressions from smoking just one or two bowls:
Berry Cobbler - Nice aroma. Very light and mild with a hint of berry-like flavor. Definitely need more time with this one.
Premium Burley - After just two bowls, I really like this one already. Good burley. Sweet, but not syrupy. No bite. If I had an "all day smoke" this one could be it.
Chocolate Cream - Another hit for me after just two bowls. Chocolate aroma and flavor in a mild and pleasant smoke. Goes well with a cup of coffee.
Mild English - I enjoyed the first, and as yet, only bowl. Nice cool smoke. There's good tobacco flavor in this one.
Northwoods - Flavorful and smooth. A cool smoke. I've only smoked one bowl so far, so the standard disclaimer applies.

alleycat

Lurker
Jun 1, 2010
I placed my first order with Boswell's a month or so ago (Apple Strudel, No Bite DeLite, Pennsylvania Dutch Treat, and Mild English).
I have to say I was disappointed in the Apple Strudel. I've been looking for a good apple blend and that was the main reason for ordering from Boswells. I've smoked the others, but not enough to give a fair review.
They were very nice to deal with over the phone.

dunhillmanuk

Lurker
Jul 2, 2010
CAN YOU PURCHASE ANY BOSWELL TOBACCO IN UK

IF SO WHERE

I LIVE IN UK AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT BOSWELL TOBACCO IS GREAT

IM LOOKING FOR SOME ON IN UK THAT SELLS RASPBERRY CREAM AND OTHER BOSWELL TOBACCO

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF I CAN PURCHASE FROM US AND IF SO WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IMPORT TAX DUTY

CHRS
CHRIS

Status
Not open for further replies.