PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theray

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
No more than ten years ago, I used to by Boswell Pipes for $40 at the Tinder Box in Mishawaka, Ind. So I saw this lava rock nosewarmer on Boswell's website, but it has already been sold. I sent him an email and was wondering how long until you hear back from him? How is the customer service overall when dealing with pipe orders? Thanks.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
They have a good reputation for customer service. I have not heard any complaints.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
My suggestion is to call them on the phone and talk to them. They are very responsive that way.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I have dealt with them a few times, on the phone (bought a pipe) and through email (ordered tobacco) both ways I've had great service

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They're not good at answering emails, phone is the way to go. That shop is very near me and I stop by frequently. If you don't find one on their website for sale, which are limited and get sold almost immediately, there is a good chance they have a similar offering on their wall. Usually 20-30 similar pipes are available. I'd be happy to send you some phone pix of similar pipes, than you can just call and purchase.
In fact, I'll be stopping by there tomorrow afternoon, by than all their weekly webpage pipes will have been sold (save for the expensive Jumbo's).

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Had the same experience as far as emails. Calling is definitely the way to go. G1

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have called them twice to buy tobacco and each time they ship the same day I call and I have the tobacco two days later. So far I have been very impressed with their service.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I'm split on their customer service, the shop seems to really care. The first order I ever made they charged me for 2oz of blueberry cobbler and chocolate cream but really sent me 3oz of chocolate cream and like 1oz of blueberry cobbler. Well blueberry cobbler ended up being one of my fav tobaccos ever and I ended up disliking chocolate cream due to how monotone it was. I told them when I ordered 3oz of 4 differint tobaccos that last time they measured my order wrong, they apologized and sent me 2 extra ounces of blueberry cobbler to say sorry. They only seem to communicate over the phone, the shop has an email, but the email I sent them a month ago still has not been answered. I definatley would not recomend email. Hey, they are an "old-fasioned company" it says so right on the homepage of the website! So I forgive them as long as they keep blending aromatics like no other. I sense that the reason they blend aros is because they probabley smoke at home and they don't want their house to smell bad. On one of their tobacco descriptions they actually say that (I am paraphrazing here) "the most important attribute of a tobacco is its smell).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Did anyone notice this Hatfields style pipe he had on today? $69 to boot. I wish he'd making a least a few pipes in the more classic styles. This one looks really neat to me.
StraightGrainHatfield3_001.JPG

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
Agreed, Hobie. They used to put the new ones up at 10:00AM EST/7:00AM PST and I'd look then. The last few weeks half or more of the new pipes are gone by the time I look about 6:50AM local time. One time I did call and the one I wanted was already gone. Dan said he'd look around and see if they had something similar though. They really are friendly and helpful people.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I'd love a Boswell pipe. It seems every time I go to see what they have, all the sweet ones are sold.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I've never been able to score a pipe from them. When I've gotten through, the pipe is sold, and they have never offered to try to sell me something else. Basically short and to the point, "try again next Thursday". I know a few people whom they offered to sell them something else from the shop. I don't know the reason for the inconsistency. Pehaps an effort to keep a certain amount of stock on hand. Regardless, I've given up trying. Plenty of other good pipes to be had.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I stopped by last week and snapped these pipes for Goalee1. They were all priced at $79, but weren't exactly what he was looking for. JM came out and we had a good chat. He's restoring a box of very old Chinese style pipes for a gentleman from China who visited his shop a few months ago. He has one that was gifted to him an restored in a display box near the cash register. I forgot to snap a pix of that ornate pipe.
He's made a new Hatfield style pipes, one was on their for sale page last week. Very tiny, 20 grams. JM said he doesn't like making them because folks burn them out too fast, but they are too popular not to carry a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.