PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I believe it was you I debated with a few weeks ago about the C&D Chicago Show Virginia Oriental being the same as Oriental Silk. I would have easily bet $100 the two weren't the same. You eventually said you spoke with Jeremy at C&D and he confirmed it. Which slowed me down a bit but I still struggled with it being true. So I called and spoke to Jeremy at C&D today and he confirmed you were correct.

The bad news is I was absolutely wrong. And I apologize. The good news is I really like the Virginia Oriental and now know the Oriental Silk will substitute 100%. Even better, I got to speak with Jeremy for 15 minutes or so. He is a fantastic gentleman and a wealth of knowledge. He gave me a couple of other C&D Blends to try since I like the Virginia Oriental/Oriental Silk (Miskatonic Mixture and Innsmouth). So as much as I hate to be proven wrong, it was way more positive than negative. So thank you Bluegrassbrian for your knowledge and persistence.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny how you or I can get it wrong. I once swore to a college buddy that I'd never been to Little Rock where he'd worked on a newspaper. With a jog of memory, he was right, I'd been there but we'd spent all our time watching the Watergate hearings, so I never really saw Little Rock proper. Another time he complained to me that the little car he had didn't have any cup holders, and I reached up and popped one out, a little wire gizmo, very inconspicuous. It happens to everyone. Such is life.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Well-played for starting a new thread for the correction. And also good news that the blend is still produced.

Borderline deceptive on C&D’s part, wasn’t it? No one was harmed by it, but still ... ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well-played for starting a new thread for the correction. And also good news that the blend is still produced.

Borderline deceptive on C&D’s part, wasn’t it? No one was harmed by it, but still ... ?

I brought this up to Jeremy. His answer was they essentially are packaging the blend for the local Tobacconist that has the booth at the Chicago Show. Regardless, it is arguably somewhat deceptive but nobody is dying because of it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

Rogue Brewing used to be a master of this. If a particular beer wasn't selling well, they would rename it, repackage it, and have a new release party. BOOM! Instantly selling again, with new reviews and higher ratings. Shady AF but I guess business is business.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Rogue Brewing used to be a master of this. If a particular beer wasn't selling well, they would rename it, repackage it, and have a new release party. BOOM! Instantly selling again, with new reviews and higher ratings. Shady AF but I guess business is business.

And that should tell you what ratings are worth.

Reactions: doug535

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I believe it was you I debated with a few weeks ago about the C&D Chicago Show Virginia Oriental being the same as Oriental Silk. I would have easily bet $100 the two weren't the same. You eventually said you spoke with Jeremy at C&D and he confirmed it. Which slowed me down a bit but I still struggled with it being true. So I called and spoke to Jeremy at C&D today and he confirmed you were correct.

The bad news is I was absolutely wrong. And I apologize. The good news is I really like the Virginia Oriental and now know the Oriental Silk will substitute 100%. Even better, I got to speak with Jeremy for 15 minutes or so. He is a fantastic gentleman and a wealth of knowledge. He gave me a couple of other C&D Blends to try since I like the Virginia Oriental/Oriental Silk (Miskatonic Mixture and Innsmouth). So as much as I hate to be proven wrong, it was way more positive than negative. So thank you Bluegrassbrian for your knowledge and persistence.

I certainly took no personal offense to any of it. I was just going on what I heard second hand.
I had a prior email conversation going with Jeremy from a couple months ago so it was nothing to drop him a quick question.

I think you and I have similar tastes in tobaccos and I typically value your opinion. I didnt give the Oriental Silk/Show Tin debate a second thought the day after. Youre a big man. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.