PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I've bought a wonderful restored but as good as new Dunhill dress from a respected vendor. I have no doupt about the pipe being genuine. It's a really beautiful prince with a sterling silver ring. When smoking it for the first time I noticed that some of the paint came off, staining my hands black/blue. I went to polishing the bowl today with some Dunhill pipe bowl polish. The towel was pretty stained afterwards. The bowl took up a less jet black more charcoal color after that with some of the grain slightly shining trough. It actually looks very nice that way but is this normal?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think this is the Dunhill finish, not to state the obvious. Someone has "fixed up" this pipe in a bad way, so now you need to find out what they were covering up, if anything, and how this can be restored as best possible. If it were my Dunhill, I'd entrust it to a repairman who works on them regularly. If you screw up the finish trying to remove this bad paint-over job, you might do more damage than good, and also, you might not have the know-how if there is another problem to be addressed. I think this pipe can be put right, saved if necessary, but you want someone who knows what they're doing. You can do it yourself, and you might do fine, but the potential for making it worse is there.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I would really doubt it is a fake. Most likely you are seeing the results of a shady re-stain or something. I would contact the seller as you have for their end of it.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Looks like a legit Dunhill. Possible the dress finish came off and the person attempted to redo the finish. I have attempted to make this finish before and it came out ok. The issue is that the stain has to be put on exttra thick to cover the grain complaetely and then it will not soak in, and come off on your hands as so. The only real way to do it is to mix the black stain with shellac and then use that to coat the bowl. Hardest part is to get a glassy smooth finish. The shellac has to set for at least a week before it can be buffed.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
The black coating does fade with age; a '82 Dress:

So, probably re-finished.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I have a response from the vendor. He says it's normal that a new Dunhill dress will stain some. He says it's not paint but oils and colored wax that are used to achieve the dress finish. Hmm. Now, she looks and smokes well so I will let it rest and enjoy the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm kind of amazed that Dunhill would do this with a finish, at their prices. I have a Savenelli Opera bulldog with an intensely dark finish, and it was not an inexpensive pipe, about $240 MSRP. But it retains its finish to a "T." Nothing rubs off. This is true of other pipes like Chacom, Vuillard, Peterson (an ebony), etc. etc. I'm glad you've made your peace with the Dunhill; buff it regularly and time may take care of this. More power to you.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I'm pretty sure that the original Dunhill finish will not do this and that this one had a makeover at some point. The fading of the dress finish you can see on the picture above (which looks great btw) seems to confirm the statement of the seller though. It's just that the finish did not just stain a little. My hands were really blue all over and I'm pretty sure this is not what Dunhill or any other manufacturer would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.