PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I have been finding myself wanting to dress alot better lately. Not that I'm a slob, I wear jeans, t-shirts and button down shirts. But, I'd like to update my wardrobe to a better style. Maybe a nice suit, some khaki' pants, a few ties and sport coats. I wear a uniform to work but, I'm talking about when I go to town or on the weekends. Problem is, seems like dressing up is out of the ordinary these days. If you go to walmart you can see people walking around in their PJ's or anywhere for that matter. People just don't care how they look nowaday's. Didn't people used to wear suits and ties in the 1950's and 60's? I think it would be nice if they still did.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mp31. Well put.

+1
Fedoras are a nice touch too.

I'm tired of baseball caps.

Caps are seemingly, no longer suited to my age nor my dignity.

But, I still have about a month before the Stetson (ordered for me on Father's Day) arrives.

I can hardly wait!

:puffy:

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
+1 Even if you look at depression era pictures the people standing in soup line are dressed like respectable people. Everyone cant afford suits and ties, but even if you have no money you should be able to dress good, so I guess it just boils down to self respect. first impressions go a long way and some people could just care less. I recently went through a wardrobe update myself, so i kinda know where your coming from on that too, its nice to look good and makes you feel better about yourself as well.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Yep, I love different kinds of hats lawrence. I even have my grandfathers fedoras and they fit.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Lucky man.

I have two of my Grandfathers "GP" (he was a cranky old codger), he was vertically challenged, and overall a bit small.

So... his don't fit me. :crying:

But, I keep'em dusted and brushed. Both from the late 20's.

One is straw and one is felt.

My uncle has the others and he was buried with one.
As for "cranky old codger"... I hope to be one someday.

The War Department says I'm well on my way. :D
Edit: Just to stay on topic... He was a brick layer (had his "70" year pin) and wore a tie to work every day.

That was dignity incarnate.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I've kind of had a realization that I might be getting too old for baseball caps as well. Unfortunately, I'm not sure fedoras suit me either so I'm looking to get a couple of nice flat caps or driving caps. I've got one coming from Duluth Trading Co. that's made out of that fire-hose material that should last a lot longer than I do. And I have added a Stetson to my birthday wish list.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I too have gone through a wardrobe up grade in the last few years. After years as a carpenter I found myself running an online business after the economy ended my first occupation. I decided since I was doing what most would call a white collar job I wished to dress more the part. I found on a tight budget that thrift stores and ebay were good places to find high end clothing at a good price. I also found that working from home it was good motivation for me to get dressed up and put on a tie every morning. It keeps me reminded that I am at work and I am more productive because of it. My grandfather wore a coat, tie and hat anytime he went out in public and he was a farmer. He said that's the way everyone dressed when he was growing up poor or rich. It sure not that way now, it's a shame it's not.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I used to have to wear a suit every day doing the funeral thing. Most days now, it's Dickies and a Polo. I'm just biding my time until my top hat comes back into fashion.
monocle2.gif

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I wear pretty much the same thing around the house and around town: jeans and a denim work shirt. I have a closet full of the same style such that if you didn't know me and saw me every day you'd think that I never change clothes. However my philosophy is quite different at work. I'm in what used to be a white collar profession: engineering. I say "used to be" because suits and ties have gone the way of the dinosaur as regards business attire. When I entered the business world in 1976 after graduating college, ties were required at work and a jacket or full suit was required when visiting clients. With the advent and near universal acceptance of "business casual" attire, everything changed, and not necessarily for the better. If I wear a suit now to anything but a formal business meeting I'm out of place and stick out like a sore thumb. Aesthetics aside, I believe that how one dresses affects not only now one is perceived by others but also how one acts. Along with business casual came a lack of formality, and with it a degradation of overall conduct. I'm no prude by any means, but I still cringe when I'm in a meeting and hear the F-bomb fly without much notice. And so on...
Society has become less formal, much too familiar and far too crude. Dressing down didn't necessarily cause it, but it sure made it easier.

toadie

Lurker
Jun 30, 2012
Look into the videos put out by Real Men Real Style on youtube, lots of information.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I went to a funeral on Tuesday tho I wasn't wearing a formal suit, I did have sport coat and tie, it surprised me, a full church (we were late and had to stand outside in the hall) there was only one other gentleman wearing a jacket ..PJ's aren't only for Walmart, the family and I tried a local church a few years ago, on Sunday morning there were 2 families wearing PJ's and or shorts. Decided to go back the next week, same stuff. We gave up. Not being able to afford a suit is one thing, sun morning PJ's is pitiful

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
As long as you're not naked or nearly so, I don't think God is too worried about it, but that's just my personal perspective.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I'm probably one of those on the other side of the spectrum. I used to wear suits and ties, then slacks and jackets to work. Each and every day. I once even got a remark from a VP who said "You know Mick, it's casual Friday. Not sneaker Friday" :crazy:
Now, I work at a company without dress code. And when I say without, I mean without. I see guys in shorts and flip-flops all the time. I'm not quite that casual, but it's a nice change of pace to be able to wear jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers to work each and every day. And no-one makes a comment if I don't shave for a day or two.
Our Church has gotten somewhat more casual as well. I feel comfortable going to church now in jeans and a polo or button up shirt, but without a tie or having to shave that morning. Given that Sunday is about my only "sleep-in" day and I usually am there early to help out, it gives me 30 minutes more sleep ;-) Nothing but a bonus.
For a wedding or funeral, I'll still wear the suit though. Or at least nice pants and a jacket, depending on relationship (dad in a wedding in shorts... my daughter would have killed me :rofl: )

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I told my wife to dress me up in our finest Hefty bag and leave me at the curb when I die. She didn't think that was funny for some reason...

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
He could have at least tucked his white shirt in, that kinda ruined the whole look.
Want to get raped? bank with Wells Fargo, the worlds biggest Criminals
Does a culture based on seperation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
not my style either.. posted mostly because of the pipe. I use to be an IT geek for 40 years. Started with suit/coat and tie everyday. then casual Friday arrived which meant business casual chino's and nice polo but no jeans or shirts without collars. then dress down Friday arrived for donating $1 you could wear clean jeans and a polo still no shirts w/o collars. then casual all week, then free for all anything went all the time. Last few years I would do chino's and Polo or button down oxford shirt m-t and eans and polo or sweater on Friday.
retired 2 years ago past Apr.. since the weather got decent Apr/May I have not had on a pair of long pants or socks one day. not that anyone wants to know but at least 90% of that time also went 'commando'.

Status
Not open for further replies.