PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I remember back in 2012 when many issues regarding the availability of pipe tobacco began to become known to us. I remember being told I had a sky is falling attitude about this and that I was being paranoid. I went on a mission to acquire a 25 year cellar before then end of 2013. I reached my goal in the time I had allotted and I am damn glad I did.
2 of my favorite blends are discontinued. Rotary Navy Cut and Brigham Klondike Gold are history. Blends like F&T Cut Virginia Plug, Special Brown Flake and Vintage are hard to impossible find. Astleys no 44 and 109 tough to find. Wessex flakes , Gold Virginia, Gold Brick, Brown Virginia Flake. I am sure there are others but you get what I mean.
Now with the issues at McClelland things are going to get even tougher. Is it a flake thing where popularity is outweighing supply? Or is it mfgs getting ready to shut their doors? What blends that you like have been discontinued or are really hard to get?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Harris,
Some of these have been hard to find, off and on, for years. F&T CVP, Wessex Campaign, John Aylesbury Luxury Flake, and many others have been hard to find at one time or another. FVF and SJF were hard to find. You can still find Klondike Gold in Canada, so I've read. Rotary just disappeared without notice. But, a lot of blends are readily available. When CH becomes unobtainium it will be time to surrender.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Clueless on the causes, but it is a good question. Feels like they going away.
Anything you say is a good Virginia flake will likely sell out. Luckily you don’t like Red Virginia’s .
I had a large backorder with 27 tins of Wessex and 5 gold bricks cancelled, it was one of those +20% off sales...retailer said they had no expectation of getting any product. Haven’t seen them available since then.
Add to the hard to find list : Rattrays Old Gowrie, John Aylesbury Luxury Flake.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Aylesbury Luxury Flake just got renamed to Classic Flake. My long lost blend was Mephisto.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
When I see this kind of post I'm grateful that I panicked early and stocked up accordingly. I would say it's a shock, but if you've been paying attention this has just been event foretold.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo cig
Not to mention Holger Danske Royal Navy Flake (though it showed in the ads for quite a while). Presbyterian may be undergoing a packaging/labeling change, inspired by the EU - this is what I'm hoping.
hp

les

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Embers: was wondering about that. I don’t get why the company would rebrand it from luxury flake to classic flake. I’ll be that guy... the old luxury flake is better than the new classic flake pretending to be luxury flake.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 cigrmaster - I finished up my ideal cellar a few years ago seeing the writing on the wall - hunting my fav blends was fun and also a real PITA years ago - so glad I can kick back now and finally just enjoy...picking up a new blend to try only now and then

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For all of you with massive cellars, don't worry...I'm sure you'll be given an amnesty period for voluntarily turning it all in to your local tobacco disposal authority (TDA) before they send in the storm troopers.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Embers: was wondering about that. I don’t get why the company would rebrand it from luxury flake to classic flake. I’ll be that guy... the old luxury flake is better than the new classic flake pretending to be luxury flake.
Someone probably got offended by the "luxury" aspect, like back in the '80s when cereals had to replace the word "sugar" with "honey" in their names.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
For all of you with massive cellars, don't worry...I'm sure you'll be given an amnesty period for voluntarily turning it all in to your local tobacco disposal authority (TDA) before they send in the storm troopers.
They'll have to find it first. All of my online transactions are done with pseudonyms with a Walmart cash card and sent to a Post Office Box. :wink:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
They'll have to find it first. All of my online transactions are done with pseudonyms with a Walmart cash card and sent to a Post Office Box.
Oh Grasshopper...you underestimate the Eye of Sauron.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
For fun I Googled my birth name. Only result was someone who died back in '64. I'm a ghost! :mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, I will throw in my bitch about the absence of Burlington Arcade Blend- Harry S Tint and Sons, Philly. Been extinct some 30 years, but I recall it fondly. Only one person here has responded he knew the blend, and even had an unopened tin of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.