PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I suspect we've all done this, you have two almost empty mason jars of pipe tobacco and think, "What the hell, I can get a full bowl if I use them both".
Has anyone stumbled upon great combinations?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To be honest, I've stumbled on some bad mixes, where too many different tobaccos in the wrong proportions, and various flavorings really burn hot and harsh. My best mixes are usually a little bit calculated. If you put good quality burley and Virginia in equal parts, and add a pinch of nice Cavendish, it will probably be tasty to excellent. For us non-blender types, usually fewer tobaccos will produce a better mix. Russ can put together six different tobaccos and come up with a classic, but that's because he's Russ.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
My daily pouch blend consists of two pinches of Sugar Barrel to one of Walnut.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I just tried mixing GL Pease's Gaslight with McClelland's Christmas Cheer (this particular batch being from 2007). Very good! Gaslight is very strong for my tastes. It is a little too sour and bitter for my preferences. Not that it is bad, just a little too harsh in my opinion. I thought some sweetness from the Christmas Cheer might dial it back a bit. It definitely retains the character of Gaslight, just dialed down a notch. I think I'll call it Christmas Light!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
By attempting to create my own my blends I've learned a couple things. First of all, I shouldn't ever blend. The guys who blended the blend that I have didn't blend it with the other blend I have and for good reason. It's a bit like having bottles of leftover wine and thinking you could make something great by combining them. Perhaps out of 1000 attempts you'll stumble onto something, but mostly you just create garbage ;)

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I haven't created any new taste sensations but I have added condiment tobaccos, like latakia, to bland blends to good effect. Generally a good blender knows what he or she is doing. I, on the other hand, may not get what I expect from the tin description.

Status
Not open for further replies.