PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I often add some GH&Co Dark Birdseye or Kendal Kentucky to various blends when I need a little extra oomph. I also enjoy throwing in some cubed Bold Kentucky. I'd like to try doing the same with ribbon-cut Dark Fired Kentucky, but I'm not finding much out there. Any recommendations for good straight (or at least mostly) DFK ribbon?

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Haven't tried C&D's blending kentucky.
If I were doing it, the first thing I'd ask myself is do I want that MacBaren flavor with the kentucky? There's a distinct flavor with their dark-fired that I could see preferring in circumstance. But for me, not always. I'm not a fan of HH Syrian or Doblone D'Oro for that reason.
There's also GH&Co, some of their bulk blends might do the trick. Some are shag, some ribbon. Even flake and plug might be worth playing with to get it for blending as you like. C&D seems to do a good job with that in their blending - succeeds in blending components of different cuts.

Reactions: trubka2

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Thanks, fellas! I've tried the C&D DFK, which is good, but I kind of smoke enough of it in various C&D blends (maybe it's totally different leaf, though - I have no idea, but it tastes the same to me). Didn't know about the P&C or Stokkeby stuff, so I'll be sure to check those out. @cosmic - Where do you get the Stokkeby DFK? Not seeing it in the usual places. DFK and a fruity aromatic actually sounds pretty good, in a way. My morning coffee go-to for months has been GH Scotch Mixture with a dollop of Dark Birdseye, but I need to switch it up more.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Isn't Kendal Kentucky basically a ribbon cut straight DFK? Do you want a different (wider?) ribbon cut or just find it too Kendal-y?

P&C carries the Stokkebye 314 Dark Fired. It's out of stock now, and goes quick when they get new batches. Hard to beat the value. Maybe you can find it at some of the smaller retailers. Good luck!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Isn't Kendal Kentucky basically a ribbon cut straight DFK?
No, Kendal K is a real fine, almost shag cut. I love those GH shags, smoke them pretty much every day. Just curious what a really good ribbon DFK would do with other ribbon-cut tobaccos. Thanks for the heads-up on the PS 314!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Unfortunately, the Stokkebye Dark-Fired is no longer available, and that brings up a side note on the subject. I was really glad to have the Stokkebye so I could have access to two different types of DFK. The blending Kentucky we have on our site is American processed, which you tell from the aroma because it has a distinct note of hickory smoke. The Stokkebye version is African and the wood used to smoke it is different. It has a floral note that isn't present in the US type. Most of the European companies tend to use the African while American companies seem to prefer staying with the domestic product.

Russ

Most of the European companies tend to use the African while American companies seem to prefer staying with the domestic product.
I hate that about Stokkebyes, but I guess that explains why I found it to have more nicotine than the domestic stuff.
Russ, was the Stokkebye's version used in your Frieght Train blend?
Good stuff, I only have a few more pounds left in the cellar, and I try to only break it out occasionally.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Well, that's a bummer. I suppose the American version has more of that BBQ or hickory smoked flavor/aroma (thinking Jack Knife Plug)? From what I can tell, I enjoy blends that use both types.

BTW, here is a link to the P&C blending DFK. I forgot about that when I originally replied. I've never tried it.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Fascinating to hear about where the different flavors (hickory vs. floral) come from and why, and now the different flavors make a little better sense to me. Thanks, Russ!

The condimental tobaccos are not discussed enough here, I think. Even my primitive palate can distinguish a few different types of Latakia, some of which I love and some of which I hate. But I have no idea why they taste so different, what they're called, or anything like that. I have some idea about the different Periques (thanks in large part to the RO Perique series and the D&R blends), but all the other condimentals remain completely shrouded in mystery for me.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Status
Not open for further replies.