PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Forum member pruss sent this one to me as a gift, knowing that the shape would appeal to me. I've been fighting a wicked cold but I'm on the mend and made it out to the shop this evening to give it a quick polish.
Thanks for thinking of me Pat!
If anyone knows the significance to the number stamping, give me a shout.
blatter_select_finish-1.jpg

blatter_select_finish-4.jpg

blatter_select_finish-6.jpg

blatter_select_finish-3.jpg

blatter_select_finish-10.jpg

blatter_select_finish-11.jpg

blatter_select_finish-12.jpg

Mar 29, 2016
Hi,
86 is the year of production and your pipe is number 245 for that year only. My commissioned Rhodesians for 2016 are 43-16 and 6916 per example, they were made three months apart. Pipe production sure is slower nowadays.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Looks lovely, Al. Nicely done!
Virginialover nailed it, that's the 245th pipe made from 1986. The "Select" line was a step up from the standard "Blatter" house pipes and were specifically selected stummels. Pipes bearing the signature were completely hand made by Robert Blatter. I understand that Robert still works in the shop but may not be making pipes anymore. He was readily available for correspondence by email when I first came across this pipe.
I'm happy this pipe is in your hands, Al. I just hope it's not too big a jawbreaker for you!
-- Pat

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a lovely pipe, Al. And what a swell gift . pat.
Pat has been the source of most of my Blatters and they're all exceptional smokers. They're also under the radar pipes for many smokers and good deals abound on the secondary market.
I used to think vintage, Canadian made Brighams were king but no longer. Blatter rules.
Fnord

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Montreal treasure. Love the paneling, the grain, the nifty stem work, the compactness. A real looker, that.

Status
Not open for further replies.