PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Well hello all,
This weekend i had the pleasure of visiting Blatter & Blatter in Montreal. This store is fantastic. The last time i visited the store was a while ago and i am pleased to say that not a whole lot has changed. They still have a large number of pipes, both machined and hand made. One change i did notice however is the increase in cigar stock. IIRC they only had one wall of cigars way back when i first visited, but now they have a whole other section dedicated.
Their display cases for pipes are excellent, well organized and clearly visable. They had a good selection of tobacco as well, including some of their own house blends. Their prices for pipes were very reasonable as well, with the majority of the pipes starting at about $70 and a good selection around the $100 mark.
As a newbie to pipe smoking i asked for a reccomendation from the clerk and he suggested i try their "Executive" blend. I'll post a simple review once i get some more exp, but first impressions are pretty good, although quite moist right now.
One interesting feature i found in the store was their "bargain bin". Basically a wicker basket filled with blemished or dented pipes. Not sure if they were refurbished estates or if they were production pipes that just didn't make the cut so to speak. But at a discounted price they were tempting.
Overall i was pleased with the service and helpful advice and would reccomend any pipe smoker/cigar smoker to stop by if you have time in Montreal.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Excellent! I haven't been back to B+B for a couple of years, good to hear all is still well. Always friendly service.
I have two Blatter pipes, and they are two of my best.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Yes welcome to the forum. You should post photos. Also why is it called Blatter and Blatter? Strange name.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Here's the history of B+B from their website...someone should help them update their site, it's been the same for years...
http://www.blatterpipes.com/history.htm

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Nice review Alex. Mel Feldman the proprietor of The Smoker in Albany, NY was always fond of Blatter Brothers pipes and usually had quite a few on hand in his shop. Over the years I've enjoyed a selection of their pipes that I bought from Mel and they are excellent pipes. Glad to hear their shop is surviving and doing well in this economic environment, especially with the high tax structure in Canada.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
My pipe is actually from the bargain bin: $50 for a Genod. Wasn't refurbished, probably a second. Smokes great!
Thursday's my birthday, I'll buy a Blatter pipe! Happy birthday to me!!! :D
I believe they went the cigar route to increase traffic. But make no mistake, they know cigars as well.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I had a great experience at Blatter & Blatter last year. I spoke with one gent who was really helpful and quite nice to chat with; I presume he was one of the younger Blatters. I bought several Cohiba cigars and about $100 in pipe tobacco. (Four 50g tins I believe) If I had more cash on me that day, I would've bought a briar - c'est la vie!
I never tried any of their house blends, but I'm sure they are decent from what I've read.
One can't blame them for taking on more cigar stock as the pipe tobacco market probably isn't exactly thriving in Montreal these days... I actually found it quite convenient and very fitting for them to have a bit of a cigar selection; I was also happy with a pound of Cubita coffee I picked up at the last minute.
They are to be credited for making their own pipes and persisting in an unfriendly Canadian marketplace. They've been in Montreal for over a hundred years so I wish them the best of luck on the road ahead...
I've still got their card in my wallet as a reminder to buy a briar from them one of those days!

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I was very happy with the service, and i agree they are doing quite well considering the current market in not only north america, but canada of all places. Not exactly tobacco friendly these days. I know every time i go to montreal i will be stopping in. Their bargain bin has a brilliant selection, next time i'll walk out with another briar in my pocket.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I have a Blatter and Blatter pipe too!! Got it last year when i was in MTL.
I brought it to JJ FOX of London england in March, and they LOVED that particular pipe. They loved the shape, grain, and finish, and the fact that it's also a sitter.
They make excellent pipes.

crossgrain

Lurker
Jan 31, 2010
canada
I was in Montreal last week and bought two of thier pipes, a sitter and an apple (the latter was a Rettalb centenial), as well as a basket Vincenzo Italian Pipe wit a beautiful flame grain. Presbyterian Mixture and Three Oaks Syrian, as well, from Pierre, the older brother. We chatted about pipes and Pierre made me feel very at home. Absolutely wonderful ambiance, recommended very highly to every Brother of the Briar!
I am most impressed with this shop, the folks there and the products. Oh, if I can only visit Montreal more often!

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I'm going to be up there this summer. Your information has whet my appetite for field trip and possible purchase of a Blatter & (et) Blatter pipe. I notice they date their pipe, always like that. Saw two on Ebay for a very low price.

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
I was born and lived for 27 years in Montreal and I don't think that I have ever heard of the place. The next time that I am visiting I will be sure to stop in and purchase a pipe or two. Thanks for the information!

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
Hi I am new the the site so was looking around if there was any news on the Montreal pipe scene and I found out about Blatter & Blatter Inc. I purchased my first pipe a long time ago but have returned to pipe smoking a few months ago by purchasing a brier pipe at one of the local tobacco stores near Crescent Street. I then heard about Blatter & Blatter and of the quality of their hand made pipes they manufacture. Am thinking of getting one for my birthday so I wanted know if any of you have had any custom pipes made from Blatter & Blatter and how they compare to a Peterson or a Savinelli ? P.S. I found this YouTube video of Blatter & Blatter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp1jSKQF2KY

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
Just went to Blatter and Blatter last Monday and found some great pipes between $50 and $110 especially their hand make ones. Found a rustic looking pipe that looked like a Peterson but wasn't I am thinking of getting for my birthday next month. I also check out their home blend tobacco especially the English blend which had a nice aroma.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
Looking to try some of Blatter & Blatter house blends I am hoping to pick up and try their English blend and Aromatic blends. I have also been on their website to look at some of their pipe designs I am thinking a getting one or two of their classic designs this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.