PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
So I have given softy bits more than their fair share. They suck, IMO.

I know that some swear by them, YMMV. To each his own.
For me, no matter the stem shape/type, I do not find these comfy nor enjoyable. What other options do I have or need to read up on? Thanks.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I hate softy bits as well!!
There is a another thread I'll dig up and put the link to.
I couldn't find the thread, but you want "dry vinyl tape, one inch wide" i bought mine on Amazon and it works great on the few pipes I use it on.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
There was a thread where (I think npod) uses bondage tape. Yes, bondage tape.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Search the forum for bondage tape. The thread was something about lip protectors.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I remember that one...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/parafilm-stem-wraps
The plastic sandwich bag gets my vote.

2v2JA515dx3L6Bn.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Ah the thread that keeps on giving.
I have moved to the vinyl tape almost exclusively. It is fantastic.
I found better uses for the bondage tape :roll:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Here is a shot I took of my pipe yesterday. You can see the vinyl tape on the stem. If I knew I’d post the picture I would have made it look prettier.

RgYzZIf.jpg

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Cool thanks all. Is vinyl tape the same as electrical tape?

Neil- if that Balleby finds its way to the back of your rotation, lemme know. I know of a good home :)

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I've never had a problem with the softie bits but I've also never smoked without them. So I suppose ignorance is bliss...

Most of my pipes are very expensive pieces. I am a clencher, and none of my pipes have anything other than some very fine chatter, not even noticeable to the eye. Not, that I would care, as they are my pipes, not rentals, nor do I intend to sell them. I can't even fathom a reason to have them, unless someone is merely going to smoke it for a few bowls and then sell it.

They are like those anal retentive grandma furniture covers. Make the family set on plastic, because they don't want a single flake of dirt on them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Or it's like a condom. If that's the only way she'll go, fine, wear it. But for most, unnecessary (softie bits, now) and annoying.
I also didn't like the extra work. If I didn't take it off after smoking and dry the bit, it'd get discolored.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Agree, any type of condoms is a nope for me. Try to handle the pipe a little bit softer and not bite the stem/mouthpiece. If it just hangs in between your teeth it can't fall out nor it will be damaged.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I guess I have sensitive teeth, but I use the soft bits on all of my pipes. I find that clenching is much more comfortable than without. I may give the tape discussed in the post linked in Wolf's post a try. I agree that I don't really like the look of the soft bits, but the smoking is much more comfortable.
jojoc

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
can't stand using those softies but instead,whereas when I'm driving I forced to use of Vinyl tape(best option all around)or Lab parafilm wraps because of my habit to clench quite a much and that I obviously have sharp teeth

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I only smoke my pipes when I'm not wearing my dentures. With the dentures in I just don't enjoy smoking my pipes. With that said....The softie bits are more comfortable for me when I clench and I do clench most of the time. All my pipes have them and their definitely a must on my heavier pipes. I can however understand why some pipe smokers don't like them. If you don't like them, then there are other alternatives (as previously posted) or just don't use them. It's all very personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.