PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Hi, I'm a new member to this forum. I have always clenched all of my pipes. I just cleaned up a nice Peterson estate, but the bit is just a bit too large to clench. Any suggestions?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Too thick, top to bottom? You can always file, sand, and buff.
Just go very slowly so you don't file a hole in it. It doesn't take much.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Welcome. I'm a clencher, but I have a few pipes that just don't work. Save it for when you are sitting in your armchair with company. I find it polite to hold a pipe when you are deep in conversation, so it works out well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stems and bits are important, but so are pipe weights, and Peterson specializes in heftier pipes. You may be able to file/sand this one down (carefully) and enjoy clenching it, but some pipes are never great clenchers. For light weight briar pipes with ample bowls, for clenching, I think French pipes are often winners. I have a very small, light Genod with plenty of bowl, as one example. Many Chacoms, BC's, and other makes clench well, for future reference. Also get the weight when buying online, if you want a clencher.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have quite the collection of Petersons without a significant clenching problems (although the 107 can get weighty after awhile). But in modification matters, I often go to shaintiques or Jeff Walls Pipe Repair. He's going to be making a couple of new stems soon for me, as a matter of fact.You might like to check him out. And welcome to the forum!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I solved this problem by nailing a string to my ceiling and tying the pipe to it. Now it hovers at exactly the right height.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
@deathmetal
I like how that is filed under "problem solving" :rofl:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's a couple that presented serious clenching problems: the volcano weighed 1/4 pd and I had to sell it. It ate too much. The other is a Nording giant, still one of my favorites.
unnamed1-600x450.jpg

img_1168-600x516.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.