PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Tomorrow is my 33rd birthday. Going to celebrate 1/3 of a century by heading back to the river to get some more Sockeye Salmon on the ol' 8 weight Gloomis. Bringing along some GH Sweet Whiskey Roll Twist to shove in the lip while on the water. After the fish have been slain, I plan on relaxing on the beach with some Balvenie Peat Week 14 year, a cold Agrarian Ales Field Beer, and my Brigham Klondike Canadian filled with a fat bowl of Balkan Sobranie. Nothing like a filled pipe, crystal clear water, and not a care in the world.
So far, it has been a very productive year....
russian-reds-600x600.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Great fish. It's been a couple years since I've done any fishing. I'd love to learn to fly fish. Know any good beginner's resources?
Sounds like you've got your birthday rations all figured out! Hope it's a good one, though given your plans, I don't see how it couldn't be a great one.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'd love to learn to fly fish. Know any good beginner's resources?
Thanks! The best way to learn is to just start doing it, although before that I would suggest looking up a few youtube videos on how to cast, gear, etc. just to learn the terminology and some basic technique. It is certainly more difficult (although also way more rewarding) than fishing with a spinning rod. Orvis has a pretty good youtube serious with basic instruction. In addition, many fly shops in the lower 48 and abroad offer classes.
As far as what kind of gear to get/use and what kind of fly you might need for your target species/location, local fly shops are usually very happy (and excited) to get you set up, and give you what is usually good advice for you to be successful.
One thing I would say is just make sure you stick with it. It will be frustrating and difficult at first, but like many things, once you get the hang of it it is a hell of a lot of fun. One of those activities where the rest of the world just melts away.
Good luck!

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Now that is how you celebrate a birthday. Good on you! Wishing you fine weather and better fishing!
Edit - lol, I see I'm a little behind the time. I'm sure you had fun.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'm a little behind the time. I'm sure you had fun.
haha yep! But thanks anyway! It was indeed a grand time, full limits on sockeye, great weather, some cold beer, scotch, and balkan sobranie :D

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Keep fishin & stock the freezer. And have fun doing it.
Working on it! This years Sockeye run is already insane. They just increased the limit at a couple popular streams here to 9 a day. Fish counts are already higher than they were last year in July. Its a galdurn smorgasbord. My fly rods are getting quite the workout, which makes me a very happy man.
Time to break out the smoker again. Smoking salmon is easliy the world's most intoxicating aroma.........outside of a freshly opened blend with latakia that is :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.