PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi everyone. I'm interested to know how many Dunhill pipe owners have a birth year pipe and what it looks like.
I would really like to find one for myself. My birth year is 1953. I guess that pretty much dates me.
Look forward to seeing your birth year Dunhills and perhaps getting the nod or a pointer on a 1953 Dunhill myself????
Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been looking for a 1952 for a while, Chris. I guess every piper has a thing for a birth year pipe. I'm not an eBay buyer so I look at the estate sites on an irregular basis. James Island Pipes has some interesting things and the prices are very good.

Good luck with your search.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
You might try a tan shell. I think they came out in '53. For that matter, 1953 seems to be a great birth year for some other cool creations. The Rolex Explorer was introduced in 1953, as well as the Chevrolet Corvette. Also, Leica's famous M-3 camera was created in '53. (but not introduced publicly until early the following year). Try collecting all the above why don't ya? Lol. That should give you something to do in your spare time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just think, if all pipe makers put the year of manufacture in the stamp, we could have birth year pipes in a wide variety of brands. Why should this be a Dunhill exclusive? As I have noticed before, Luciano stamps their pipe with the year. Why not all those French, Dutch, other English, Italian, Irish, Greek, Turkish, U.S., Canadian, etc. pipes?

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Someday I'll finally get that birth year pipe I've been wanting.
A '79 root billiard is what I'm after. Just need money...

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
You guys are too cruel man. You hurt my heart. :rofl:
Here I am trying to provide anecdotal amusement for you guys and all you do is poke fun at my quest. Too cruel.

No, no, no, Max! Those are totally utilitarian objects and tediously prosaic.
Now this my man, this, is something to strive to obtain. It is THE holy grail of holy grails
Truly a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. The birth quest to end all 1953 birth quests.

A 1953 Harley Davidson K model. OooooooooAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I'd trade all 4 of my cobs to own this sweetheart!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I searched for years for a birth year Dunhill, born in 1950. The closest I came was a Dunhill DRR C-EE grade Dead Root Pot group 3. Just this year I came across the first Dunhill that included the original box, sock and paperwork. It's a Dunhill Shell group 2 and an Innertube to boot, the package of filters shown are used if you remove the innertube something I did not know existed. Yes, I finally had my birth year Dunhill!

banjo
31225764465bae2525fdc4c2a7a2d9dc4066512.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.