PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Two years ago, a vendor I buy from offered me a couple of free pipes... at this time of the year. I had just bought this Ropp, from the 70s. One of the free Ropps I got at that time I just sent to AquaDoc... for his small bowl smoking delight.

It was a Bing Crosby shape, and my favorite seasonal film is Holiday Inn. This is the movie where Irving Berlin's White Christmas was introduced to the public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_Inn_(film)

I know the Savinelli Bing is well known, but this 70s Ropp is that shape with a vulcanite stem. I just fired it up for the first time today with HH Old Dark Fired. Nice.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I absolutely love the Ropp. It has already provided me with a tasty smoke. And it is a beautiful pipe with great lines and interesting grain. I have smoked 2 bowls, 1 with the stinger and 1 without. I could not tell the difference.
Many thanks Tom for your generosity!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Congrats on Your new Pipe, I have had quite a few of Ropp pipes and still do have two of them Algerian Briar Superiors,good pipes,candidly,this very Ropp Bing's has more authentic looks to the original Merchant service'pipe than those of Savinellis

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if Bing or the estate got any licensing fees from pipes, Ropp, Sav, or anyone. I have a Ropp, but not a Bing, and it's a good little pipe.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Beautiful pipe and my favorite shape. I have a Bing's but not a Ropp. I love smoking Virginias and VaPers through my Bing's, so cool and tastey.

Aug 14, 2012
The Crosby is my favorite shape. I still have 15 of them and may keep them even though I cannot smoke any more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
foggy', that's quite an array of Crosby's. What brands are they, mostly? I have more pipes than needed for my moderate pace of usage, but I still enjoy the array and prowl through it for the enjoyment of the different shapes, finishes, and designs. Bing's given name was Harry Lillis Crosby, Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.