PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Snowyowl- My caps lock key was not stuck, wiseass. I was underscoring the vehemence with which I feel that medical insurance should be removed from the medical industry.
Perdurabo- I do agree that medical insurance needs to be abandoned in everything except catastrophic coverage. Routine care and billing should not be dependent on "insurance". The contract discounts are a farce. The insurers drive a $50 cost up to $250 so that it can then be "discounted" down to $50 for their customers. Customers who are now entrapped into medical insurance because they can afford the $50, but not the new $250 "uninsured" rate. All they gotta do is pay never-ending baksheesh to the insurance company for the privilege of "affording" healthcare. I have never gotten an actual discount from the health insurance scam, and neither have you. Bring up those discounts as much as you want- they still don't exist.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I got good genes and have made more than I ever paid into. Insurance and Medicare/caid kept out pocket expenses very low when my wife fought her losing battle with cancer. So, I'm way ahead, if such can really be noted when discussing the loss of a loved one.
I pay a buck per prescription because of my insurance. In fact I am at the age where I can safely say I'm costing my insurance company and the government much more than they are collecting from me. For that I thank all of you still working and contributing to certain government plans/ploys. My broken hip ran me about 1200.00USD. The government and my insurance shelled out in the neighborhood of 80000.00USD.
Again, my thanks and I hope you all live long enough to recover your payouts. Unfortunately a generation is coming along which will be the ultimate victim of certain US Government Ponzi Schemes. Me I'll be gone and my grandson will be going, "WTF! Thanks grandpa."

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The thing I like about you, Warren, is your honesty and candor. Most people can't admit that they may be benefiting from something someone else may be saddled paying for.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Our courts deny a company from being able to advertise on TV in any way that promotes their product, but forces them to do so in a way designed to reduce sales. How is this a country that promotes business growth? The only thing I see coming from this is one more step on the road to a people wanting every decision made for them, all of their problems solved by someone else, and zero responsibility for any difficulties in life. Forcing your neighbors/fellow countrymen to jump through hoops and self-flagellate is only going to guarantee that you will be subject to the same tyrannical authority as well. It is too bad no one can afford to run a business in this country any more, even working for one isn't profitable.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
What court is keeping Mickey Ds fro0m advertising their splendid repasts on TV?
The great thing about living in America now is just the fact that so many people are made lazy or fearful by government. Such creates space for the innovators, doers and thinkers at the top. The timid and lazy won't take the chance and follow a dream. But, to be successful the dream has to be well thought out and funded. It isn't easy but a lot of people do it.
I know enough about retail that, if I was inclined to do so, I'd lease a plot across from a Lowes or HD and open an Ace store. Properly seeded, in five years, I'd be making money hand over fist. I'd do it with service and Ace's phenomenal business model. It's a can't miss operation if you are willing to invest the time and money. Lots of time, close to 24/7 as an owner. It's damned hard to be successful in retail.
If you want to see some spectacular success stories watch a TV show, "Diners, Dives and Drive-ins". It's mind-boggling what can succeed with a huge amount of effort and a willingness to take a risk all you have.
No, this is a great time to have a dream and a plan in America. But, you can't just go out and open a store or shop. People won't beat a path to your door if you aren't offering something they want. There is no success without planning,damned hard work, attention to detail and knowledge. And, the ability to suck it up and not be afraid to fail. I think it helps to not have the "quit" gene in your structure also. Too many quit when the dream appears to require too damned much work.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Agree with you 100% Alde...Just getting to the point before the thread blows. Those discounts don't exist, they're built in Kroger Plus Cards. There is no real market with the Insurance Companies playing middle man.
Brightleaf, I saw a Cigar International Ad in a Gamer Magane my son got. I was amazed, happy, elated...

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Somewhere I read that Pipe tobacco buyers rely on Big Tobacco for tobacco access. Can anyone in the audience that may have knowledge of this, say yea or nay?

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Another government over reach that is going to cost companies billions of dollars. It's foolish to think that it's OK for our government to screw big tobacco or any other corporation we don't like. Now they are forced to lie by stating bias bloated statistics from the likes of the AHA ACS ALA IN their ads. What a waste.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
That's a point worth exploring perdurabo. Big Tobacco requires a large infrastructure, an infrastructure that allows tobacco to be grown, collected and sold in the huge volume that it is. Without Big Tobacco, pipe tobacco would be dependent on a very small group of farmers. Farmers that probably wouldn't be able to sell all of their tobacco allotments.

Status
Not open for further replies.