PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've got tickets for the Big Smoke here in Vegas next Friday and I can't wait!

Considering people were smoking cigars at the pipe show, should I smoke a pipe at the cigar show? :ROFLMAO:

I'll be sure to get some pics. Anyone else going?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
What's your take on the event?

I was told before going I would get my money's worth in free cigars which is definitely true. Plus free food (the tacos and the prime rib were excellent) and drinks. Free 25 year old Dewar's and Jack Daniels Frank Sinatra were among the highlights.

That's where it ends. That's all the show is. You walk around with your coupon book trading them for free cigars, trying some free drinks, and grabbing food every now and then.

No real personality or interaction. You do get to meet some people like Rocky Patel and both Alec & Bradley whom the company is named after, and they were all very nice people. But most booths are staffed with people that are just kind of there to hand out cigars. There's a small roll your own booth but you'd be missing out on your free cigars if you spent time there.

There's a reason friends go in groups and split up their coupons. One guy goes and gets 5 of a particular cigar while another guy gets 5 of another and so on.

It absolutely paled in comparison to the WCPS a few weeks ago. There you could leisurely talk to different carvers and tradespeople and people you might only know through this website.

The pipe show here in Vegas is an absolute must for me but this is probably the only time I'll ever go to the cigar show. In the end the cigar show is nothing more than free cigars which really aren't free because of the ticket price. If I need more cigars I'll just order them.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
I am glad to hear of your experience. I might focus on next year's pipe show instead. I like cigars and have plenty. If that's all the show was, I'd rather skip it and choose cigars myself

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I went to the first Big Smoke in D.C. back in 1995. The tag was a "protest" in Lafayette Park to protest anti tobacco regulations. Boy, did that ever not work! It was a really nice time. I remember walking from the park to the venue, chatting with Marvin Shanken and Ernesto Carillo. Met a nice couple who treated me to dinner at The Capitol Grill. I still use my tote bag when I travel.
Mike S.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Photos please ... of the cigars you got
30 cigars total:

2012 by Oscar Valladares
Nub Habano
Archetype Initiation
Nat-Ciccio Anniversario 1963 Liga No. 4
Oliva "O"
Balmoral Oscuro Anejo XO
Diesel Whiskey Row
Diamond Crown Maximus Toro No. 4
Padron 2000
La Flor Dominicana Coronado
H. Upmann The Banker
Montecristo Platinum
Romeo Y Julieta 1875 Nicaragua
La Aroma De Cuba
Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic
Macanudo Inspirado
Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva Rosada
Rocky Patel Tavicusa
CAO Session
Plasencia Reserva Original
Joya De Nicaragua Antano CT
AJ Fernandez Bellas Artes
Tatuaje Fausto Esteli
Vegas Cubanas by Don Pepin Garcia
The Wise Man
Aging Room Maduro
Hamlet 25th Year
Perez Carillo Encore
Casa Turrent Claro 1880
Alec Bradley Gatekeeper

Reactions: cshubhra

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Thanks for the write up and photos. Some very nice cigars there. The EPC Encore was CA's cigar of the year for 2018. I know a few people who don't care for it, but I think it's exceptional. Reminiscent of the Padron 1926 in some ways.

Based on your description I'll likely skip The Big Smoke and make a real effort to go to the WCPS

Very cool!

30 cigars total:

View attachment 8897

2012 by Oscar Valladares
Nub Habano
Archetype Initiation
Nat-Ciccio Anniversario 1963 Liga No. 4
Oliva "O"
Balmoral Oscuro Anejo XO
Diesel Whiskey Row
Diamond Crown Maximus Toro No. 4
Padron 2000