PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Hello comrades, does anybody know of some really good "seconds" pipes from some of the bigger pipe manufacturers? Personally I own a lot of Comoy's seconds like golden arrow, academy award etc, and I was curious if anybody else has had good luck with things of similar nature. Thanks!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have a few Savory's Argyll, Parker, Britannia, Hardcastle and Parker Jockey Club in my rotation, all smoke great and there are a lot on ebay if you are willing to clean/sanitize them, or send them to be professionally done

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think actual seconds have become less produced, I surmise. I think what is more common are economic lines of pipes from manufacturers. Savenelli has the Rossi line. Nording has low end Nordings, but also used to have Eriksen, which were great little factory pipes and durable. At least in new pipes, I don't count Parker or Britannia as seconds, more low priced lines from the Dunhill factory, and noticeably good pipes. But I wouldn't bicker with the idea of seconds. A few pipes really do wash out of the expensive lines and still get sold, like Savenelli's unfinished pipes. House pipes aren't seconds, per se, but are often a way to get pipes by mainline manufacturers at a lower price, with the fundamentals done well, if not the same level of finish.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
When I first starting smoking a pipe, I loved Charatans, but they were out of my price range. Luckily, during part of the Lane Era, Ben Wade pipes were Charatan seconds. I still have a Ben Wade inverted bell and skater that have brought me a lot of pleasure over the past 40 years or so.
Russ

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi Russ!
Along that same Charatan line, I often try to snag Tinderbox, "unique"s and older Montbattens.
Although Charatans on ebay were pretty cheap up until about 6 months ago, as well.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I love seconds, have a small collection of them. I personally love older pipes so if I can find a second with an old COM stamp I usually grab it, if it's a shape I like. This old French Comoy made pipe is one of my faves:

Le Mans shape 363(Comoy shape#)

003.jpg

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
There seems to be many British pipe makers with seconds, like Royal Sovereign or Royal Guard. Great smokers, great value.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
According to Pipedia, Vincenzo Pipes are seconds from Brebbia. I don't own any Brebbia pipes, but have one Vincenzo and quite like it. I've seen a few in the shops around town and they look pretty good, too

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
I have a Stanwell Royal Danish. Excellent pipe and excellent smoker..

There is also Parker of London, a second of Dunhill so you can do the math

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
I really like City deLuxe, a relative of GBD, I'm told. Many have dual bore stems which work very well for me. And the silver star is easy to clean and is quite attractive. Penthouse is another nice GBD relative, but usually has a chair-leg stem which I find tremendously frustrating to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.