PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
see I haven't liked any GLP either...
maybe it's just the stuff I've tried, I'm not the biggest burley fan and definitely not a Latakia fan.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
see I haven't liked any GLP either...
maybe it's just the stuff I've tried, I'm not the biggest burley fan and definitely not a Latakia fan.
What do you like? Union Square is a fantastic Virginia, he makes some good Vapers too (Telegraph Hill, Stonehenge Flake, Penny Farthing, etc. )

Reactions: diamondback

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I usually only buy blends I think I'll like, so it's rare for me to find a blend I didn't expect to like, but did. That said, a forum member gifted me a couple of samples of Molto Dolce and Sutliff Creme Brulee. Very rarely smoke aros, and took them more out of open-mindedness and appreciation than anything, and I enjoyed both. Probably not enough to buy, but I enjoyed the samples.

On the flip side, there's been some I expected to like, but didn't really. Peterson University Flake I thought was aggressively flavored, and didn't much appeal to me. I'm not anti-flavoring, but that blend just didn't work for me. GL Pease Sixpence and the Dunhill blends, particularly 965 and Nightcap and Elizabethan were pretty boring to me. That said, I can find something redeeming about most smokes, so even these are like 2 stars on the TR scale. I guess I'm pretty lucky. Not sure I've had anything I'd rate 1 star.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What do you like? Union Square is a fantastic Virginia, he makes some good Vapers too (Telegraph Hill, Stonehenge Flake, Penny Farthing, etc. )
I like Orlik Products, most Mac Baren, Gawith-Hoggarth/Sam Gawith, Kohlhaus & Kopp off the top of my head. Sure all have a few stinkers but overall the quality doesn’t even compare from what I’ve seen of the other brands.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All good makers for sure. Have you had Union Square VA from GLP? It’s my favorite blend of his so far. Also really like Maltese Falcon but if you’re not a latakia fan its no bueno.

CD Carolina Red Flake is also a really good VA. CD is pretty hit or miss in my experience so far. Except with Burley, they are quite good I must say.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
The blend that overwhelmed me recently was Gawith's Balkan Blend. Just can't smoke enough of it right now for some reason. As far as underwhelmed I went and bought some C&D's Burley Flake #1 because everybody says that they manufacture the best burley's, Let's just say I'll revisit it again in a couple of months.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I usually only buy blends I think I'll like, so it's rare for me to find a blend I didn't expect to like, but did. That said, a forum member gifted me a couple of samples of Molto Dolce and Sutliff Creme Brulee. Very rarely smoke aros, and took them more out of open-mindedness and appreciation than anything, and I enjoyed both. Probably not enough to buy, but I enjoyed the samples.

On the flip side, there's been some I expected to like, but didn't really. Peterson University Flake I thought was aggressively flavored, and didn't much appeal to me. I'm not anti-flavoring, but that blend just didn't work for me. GL Pease Sixpence and the Dunhill blends, particularly 965 and Nightcap and Elizabethan were pretty boring to me. That said, I can find something redeeming about most smokes, so even these are like 2 stars on the TR scale. I guess I'm pretty lucky. Not sure I've had anything I'd rate 1 star.

I bought a single tin of Sixpence (I have no idea when, sorry) and was really excited to try it. It was the worst thing I’ve put in my pipe with the exception of some blends I’ve tried to make on my own.

Ky, Va and perique and a hint of alcohol - from GL Pease? Can’t lose, right? Has to be a home run. It was awful. It HAD to have been a bad batch. I usually love most of GLP’s blends, but what a disappointment. There are a couple of tins at my local B&M, and I might grab one, but only because I’m convinced I got a bad run.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I don’t know what it is about Aros, but I do not smoke them Sam I am. I think it’s due to my association with having started with Aros and all the usual beginners’ woes.

I’ve got a mason jar with 4oz of McClelland’s Gold Toasted. Put the lid on it years ago. Never smoked a single bowl of it.

Err... sorry for the ramble.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
MacBaren's Virginia No. 1. Better than expected regarding the tounge bite everybody is talking about. It doesn't bite at all, many Virginias I've tried bite much more. Love the flavouring but not sure if the tobacco itself is premium, probably not, but very close.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
All good makers for sure. Have you had Union Square VA from GLP? It’s my favorite blend of his so far. Also really like Maltese Falcon but if you’re not a latakia fan its no bueno.

CD Carolina Red Flake is also a really good VA. CD is pretty hit or miss in my experience so far. Except with Burley, they are quite good I must say.
I haven’t. I probably should try some others but the ones I did try were so bad it put me off from the brand.

GLP “Virginia Cream” was total cardboard young leaf garbage.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I haven’t. I probably should try some others but the ones I did try were so bad it put me off from the brand.

GLP “Virginia Cream” was total cardboard young leaf garbage.
Yeah Virginia Cream is Pretty mediocre. By far the worst Pease Ive had. I found it tolerable, but yeah, far from his best.

Give Union Square a shot if you feel like it. Its an excellent straight VA flake and is the best pease ive tried. Or don’t, whatever makes you happy, but I think you’d miss out on some good ones if you wrote them off completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.