PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Newest underwhelm: Escudo
I can't decide which cult following blend was the most underwhelming, Escudo, Solani Aged Burley Flake, or SG FVF. All are good just not necessarily superb.

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
I wanted to not like Germain Brown Flake because it's so hard to find - but it's everything I want in a pipe tobacco

Virginia No 1 was my first pipe tobacco - way too much honey for me, can barely taste the VA under it

GL Pease Haddo's Delight - like when I was getting into cigars and didn't know any better - I listened to many people on forums about blends everyone should try - With cigars, I heard everyone go "you should try an ACID Kuba Kuba, it's a great beginner cigar" - didn't realize they taste like artificial floral soap, and barely like tobacco.... So shame on me when I started reading about Haddo's Delight being a great VaPer and not knowing there's so much else going on on top of it... Not my cup of tea

Found an old tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake, and only bought it because it looked like it had sat around for a while - never had burley before - cracked it open and BAM - one of the most beautiful things I've ever smoked

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Found an old tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake, and only bought it because it looked like it had sat around for a while - never had burley before - cracked it open and BAM - one of the most beautiful things I've ever smoked
Good to hear, because I've never tried it but have some on the way.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I just had one of those "worse than I thought" experiences. Opened a tin of Cult Embassy and to be honest thought it had a FANTASTIC aroma. I kept cracking the tin at random during the day just to take a whiff.

Smoked a bowl and....I was underwhelmed. Kinda sharp, almost caustic tongue bite.

I'll give it another try I suppose, but wow what a difference between raw tin aroma vs smoking experience.

Reactions: canucklehead

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Wasn’t expecting much from War Horse Bar - and was apprehensive of the topping. But it is phenomenal! Bought two C&D bulks: Yale Mixture and Star of the East Gold - both were bland and have become blenders. That said, I created a blend I call “Yale Dropout” (50% Yale Mixture, 25% GL Pease Samarra & 25% Dunhill the Aperitif) and am REALLY happy with the pronounced Virginia sweetness the Yale Mixture brings to the blend.

Reactions: canucklehead

pharmpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2019
I'm with diamondback on the Sixpence. Maybe we got the same batch, but it was a flavorless disappointment that was poorly mannered and bitey to boot. I may give it a try again someday.
The other big letdowns for me would Dunhill EMP & Nightcap. Don't get me wrong, they are perfectly serviceable smokes but I didn't find them to be special in any way.
Someday I'll source some old (Murrays?) Nightcap as I believe that is the one that built the reputation.

As far as underrated? Hmmmm, you know I really don't consider myself a serious English connoisseur. I enjoy them but I am not one to wax eloquent over them and pick apart every subtle nuance. Despite that I have really enjoyed the Dunhill BB1938 I received as a gift, to the point that I actually stocked up before it went off the market. I think it is a terribly underrated blend.

Of course tastes are so subjective......

Status
Not open for further replies.