PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I recently tried a couple new-to-me blends that were much better than I anticipated.

The first was GH Dark Flake Scented; it wasn't as smelly as people led me to believe. It is definitely pungent and potent, and does smell a bit like old people and aftershave, but in a good way. The tobacco flavours are great, and they are strong enough not to be overpowered by the toppings. Full flavoured and packing a hefty nicotine punch, this is a great late night blend.

The second was a cheap pouch of Super Value Bourbon Whiskey, it actually smells and tastes like booze and the flavour lasts through the whole bowl, and is definitely one of the best in its category (cheap Cavendish based aros). Toss in a pinch of Latakia for a hint of smokiness and and it's a great cold weather smoke.

What are some blends that were better than expected for you guys? Or alternatively, are there any blends that you were expecting to be fantastic, but turned out to be nasty or just underwhelming?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I, too, love the Dark Flake stuff.

All of the mid- to upper burley flakes. I didn't think I'd dig them, but they are awesome. So far, that's Amphore Burley Blend, C&D Burley Flake #3, MacBaren HH Burley Flake, a few I forget the names of and even some now extinct blends. (Still working through some LJ Peretti Somerset Flake taken in trade.

The only two blends I've disliked so far share the common trait of containing "kitchen" spices. I wanted to like them both. Angler's dream (cinnamon) and Maltese Falcon (ginger).

Everyone on the planet except me seems to love Orlik Golden Sliced. I think it's OK but it was definitely less impressive than I expected. I have a tin aging somewhere, however.

After an elongated indoctrination period, I am definitely landing in the Lakeland lover category. I was quite uncertain of them at first.

I rarely touch aromatics but have enjoyed one or two, occasionally.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
PS Bullseye = Winner of the Academy Award for Worst Performance this fall.

Best Surprise by a Blend that should have Sucked = Caminetto Como. The tin note smells like roses and should have been an awful smoke. Turned out to be excellent though I'd completely understand if no one else agreed with me. Apparently no one did because they discontinued it.

Biggest Balkan Bomb = Ten to Midnight Not sure if Russ blended this but even geniuses have an off day.

Biggest Pirate Zazzy = Pirate Kate It's not bad. It's just not good. It's one dimensional. The remnants will make a good mixer.

It Should Be Condemned = Carter Hall. I wanted to like it. I didn't. Not even a little.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I like lots of other navy flakes and rolls but I guess it failed so far to stand out to me. It’s good just not as good as everyone gets so hyped about.

Reactions: kurtbob

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
Macbaren HH Latakia Flake smells and tastes like olives to me. It tastes really odd and that taste was unexpected.
Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic has hardly any flavour for me, like hot air. I get a similar experience with 1Q, great aroma no taste.
However Both half and half and sail green taste great to me with a lot of flavour and I love the aroma.
Wasn't expecting them both to be so good. - TimPiper :sher:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I find OGS bland and monochromatic. Astley's 44 was surprisingly flavorless to me, given its reviews.
When I tried Fribourg & Treyer's Golden Mixture, I didn't expect much, but was totally overwhelmed. Same with Amphora Virginia. Great blends, both of them.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
Macbaren HH Latakia Flake smells and tastes like olives to me. It tastes really odd and that taste was unexpected.

Funny you should say this, their HH Burley Flake Tastes like a curry to me... put it away for a while. Maybe now with the weather cooling down I’ll give it another go.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I was surprised by how much I liked Murray's 1a Linfield, mostly just because I don't ever see it come up in lists of good English blends.
I was also surprised by how much I disliked Comoy's Cask No. 1, stuff burned my tongue like nobody's business!

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Don't care for Escudo either. Aged or fresh, it's like cardboard. LBF replaced it for me years ago.
See now, that goes to show the difference in everyone's taster because I'm the exact opposite. I love Escudo and never have been disappointed, but LBF is the one that tasted like cardboard to me - dirty cardboard. But, I haven't given up on it and I liked it a lot more after it was jarred for a year.

As far as surprises, count me in on the Lakeland train. Now that I've accumulated several pounds of various Gawith blends without much difficulty, I'll admit it.

Another Gawith Hoggarth blend that I am surprised by how much I like is Rum Flake. I'm not much into liquor topped blends but this one isn't over the top and I'm stocked up. Honestly, I haven't smoked a Gawith Hoggarth blend I haven't liked a lot. They've all been rich and strong without being harsh at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.