PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Greeting all,

I have a question on how you treat the Mississippi River blend. If this has been covered before, my apologies, couldn't find it other than people's praise for the blend. I am pretty new to the pipe and have been smoking a few tins of Dunhill and just got a tin of Frog Morton and a 1 oz bag of Mississippi River. Been smoking a few bowls of FM and MR for a few days, which perhaps is not long enough to get a handle on them, but this is what I've found so far:

I am surprised at how mild both are compared to the Dunhill I've been smoking, and to my brief and novice expose to FM and MR, they seems similar. I would say the FM is a tad stronger. The FM tobacco smells a bit molasses, and the MR a bit ketchup / BBQ sauce. The FM smokes really easy, not many relights with this, really cool and smooth.

I am having trouble with Mississippi River staying lit. The 1 oz bag I received has the tobacco in clumps, and it is a bit sticky and clumpy like pieces of a brownie. I have been leaving the bag open to help dry it to get a better burn from it, but it's still tough to smoke without many relights. And now my back room smells like ketchup!

So I am wondering if continued open bag drying is recommended, or other drying methods, or if I should not be doing this and leave the bag sealed and adopt another smoking technique. I am breaking it up to individual pieces of tobacco. I am packing it for an easy draw as I do with other blends. Any thought or advice on how to handle the Mississippi River blend?
Thank you,

Cliff

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I smoke it in my rotation once or twice a week ,I break it up and on a oval ceramic soap dish and place it on the baseboard heater for about 10 or 15 minutes till the dish warms up taking some of the moisture out. I pack it lightly,give it a false light and tamp with a little pressure then relight. I have also left it to dry totally to where it was bone dry and it smoked great but with less flavor but it was still nice.I smoke it out of a small lovat meerschaum billiard.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I take what I think is approximately a bowls worth of tobacco, spread it out on a paper plate and let it dry some. I then rub it out some, pack it (not too tightly) as it will expand some.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I rub it out but not fully. I find leaving some rely small chunks helpful for some reason. I usually let it dry thirty minutes to an hour So then I gravity load and don't pack it down much at all. Load some bits and pieces on the top to help light and you're good to go.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it needs to dry more. I think this is the closest I will get to smoking an aromatic tobacco.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I think this is the closest I will get to smoking an aromatic tobacco.
Same for me. About the only aro I enjoy on occasion and can actually taste something is Bagpipers Dream. The rest are nothing but hot vapid air.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Funny you mention this. I myself had a 1 oz bag of MRiver. I like the taste but got frustrated because it didn't stay lit. I found the bag again after a few months and had two great smokes with what was left in the bag. It was really dry but it stayed lit. So yummy. The blend was sweeter than I remember. Maybe rub it out and put it under a lamp for a bit. Or keep it in the bag for 4 months and come back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.